Who Runs the World?

Students celebrate the accomplishments of powerful women

Chasteanne Salvosa

Liberty+students+left+sticky+notes+about+women+who+inspired+them+as+part+of+Womens+History+Month.+

Dez Smith

Liberty students left sticky notes about women who inspired them as part of Women’s History Month.

Ianne Salvosa, Reporter

Each day, women from all around the world fight for the rights that some people take for granted everyday. They fight against injustices such as discrimination in the workplace, an unequal wage, not having the right to go to school, to wear the clothing they want or when to get married, just to name a few.

Women have been working towards this goal since the beginning of time. All their hard work to get women where they are now cannot go unnoticed, because women across the globe are still fighting today. Women’s History Month takes place in March every year to commemorate all the strong women who have made waves in history. As these women are honored, they serve as role models for young girls today.

“As a girl, to see another girl is very empowering to know you can do whatever you want to do,” Dr. Kiely said, a supporter of women’s rights.

This year, Liberty will take part in appreciating women and their hard work by participating in three activities during academic intervention.

It’s so important that we teach women’s history to our youth,” Mrs. Hall said, who also a supporter of women’s rights. “They simply have no idea how far we have come and who were those special, fearless women that stepped outside of the mainstream to insight this change.”

To kick off Women’s History Month, on Wednesday, March 7, for “Write a Note to the Woman that Floats your Boat”, students wrote about an important woman in their life on a sticky note. Many students thanked their mothers, grandmothers and teachers they appreciate. These notes were posted on the Women’s History Month bulletin board across from the main gym. 

“I appreciate my grandma and mom for everything they do for me,” one sticky note said.

On March 14, students write letters to a strong woman they value for “History started with Herstory.” Lastly, March 21 is “Wonder Women Day,” a superhero themed spirit day where students can represent the heroines in history.

“To me, Women’s History Month is about spotlighting women in history and women alive today who have done great things,” Dr. Kiely said.

But will women around the world be able to get the rights they deserve and stop fighting for it? The answer relies on society today.

I think the media is still on that old bandwagon of sexualizing females and not showing our most powerful side of being feminine yet strong both physically and emotionally,” Mrs. Hall said.

No one can ensure equality for all people but the people themselves. The government can impose laws promoting equal rights, but in order for that to have an effect the whole nation must learn how to abide by it. For example, there’s a law banning stealing but people still commit theft. Equality requires an effort to be made by everyone and a commitment. One can’t just say that they support fair treatment of people but make inane jokes about women and other minorities. People need to stand by their decision and speak out for each other.

LHS Publications
Mrs. Hall and her mother Beth Pirtle both won their respective age divisions in the St. Louis Go Halloween Race in St. Louis. Mrs. Hall holds her daughter Gwyneth.

My mom, she is not afraid to speak her mind, even when it is not the trendy opinion of moment. She is not always the most popular for this, but that’s why I think she is so strong and fearless,” Mrs. Hall said.

Looking back in a history textbook, a lot of the people you see mentioned are men when there are strong women between the lines. Hopefully, in later years there will be more women in the books because let’s face it, the future is female.