Graphic Artist in the Making

Up-and coming artist, Lilia Taylor, holds a lot of potential in the field of graphic design

Leah Miget

Mrs. Genenbacher and sophomore Lilia Taylor are proud of the work they’ve done together.

Leah Miget, Reporter

For anyone who loves art, one of the most important things is getting noticed.  Once an artist’s name and artwork is known, it is easier to follow their passion and to provide their artwork to others who want it.

Mrs. Genenbacher, the Senior FACS, Child Development and Sewing and Pathways to Careers in Teaching, teacher has given sophomore Lilia Taylor an opportunity to get her artwork and skill in graphic design to the eyes of others.

Mrs. Genenbacher originally went to Etsy to find a logo for her website, The FACS Files (https://sites.google.com/wsdr4students.org/genenbacher/home), and for her opening slides at The Missouri FACS Summer Conference. None of the logos were quite right, so she asked art teacher Mr. Tiemann if he had anyone who could help and he gave her Taylor’s name.

“I thought it might boost her confidence, make her realize that there is a career in doing what you love,” Genenbacher said. “And I told her if she wants me to, I’ll definitely put her name all over everything so on my main screen, ‘Artwork by: Lilia Taylor,’ and on the bottom of my little business card, ‘Artwork by: Lilia Taylor.’  Just kind of give her a jump if she wants it.”

Taylor is very passionate about her artwork. She loves to doodle and draw in her freetime, as well as watch Youtube, Netflix and hangout with friends like most other high school students.  One of her best friends, Sam Staunton, inspires and supports her, especially when it comes to art.

“She (Sam) took Graphic Design with me last semester and we just had a lot of fun and not only did she help me with my art, but I also helped with her art which also made me become a better artist and I also adopted some of her drawing styles as well,” Taylor said.

Even though Taylor loves drawing, she prefers graphic design to other types of art.

“I love graphic design because there’s just so many things you can do with it, so many worlds that you can create and you can put a lot of detail into it because when you’re drawing or when you’re painting, you can easily make mistakes, it can get ripped, it can get messy,” Taylor said. “But, I understand that that’s artwork and I’m fine with doing that but I especially love graphic design because then I can go back and change things and I can make them exactly how I want them and I’m a bit of a perfectionist.”

Both parties are excited for the final product of this card. Taylor gets her name in the eyes of the public and Mrs. Genenbacher gets a new business card and logo.