Cheer Will Attend Nationals for the First Time

Nationals in Florida is the goal for cheer team next year

Submitted by: Juli Pritchett

2017-2018 Varsity Competition team. Next years team plans to attend nationals.

Bailey Crow, Reporter

The 2018-2019 Liberty cheer season is taking on a new side of cheer leading. This year they will be investing a lot of time and money into the competition season.

On Monday, April 23, Liberty cheer head coach, Ms. Hill decided that nationals is the goal for next school year.

The competition team will first be competing at regionals, on November 10 and 11 at Bishop DuBourg High School. Then, competing at state, possibly at University of Missouri-Columbia on December 1 and 2. Next, the national qualifier is in Cape Girardeau on Dec. 9. And lastly, nationals in Orlando, Florida is in the ESPN unit of Disney World from Feb. 8-10.

“We will be starting practices next week,” Hill said. “We are doing a lot of practicing over the summer. And we also will be doing service hours, and having everyone do at least 20 hours of service. Plus, we will be doing a lot of team building.”

Coach Hill is not wanting this season to be all about winning, but mostly becoming better people and great leaders in the community.

“I am not planning on taking this group to nationals to be national champs, if that happens that would be awesome. But, that is not a goal of mine at all. It is really just to go and enjoy the experience and build memories,” Hill said.

Some of the incoming seniors on varsity cheer have their own thoughts about what they are most excited about for the season.  

“This year we finally get to go to Nationals, which I know will be something really amazing to experience for the first time with all my best friends,” Andrea Medrano said. “Also, to get to know all of the underclassmen, growing to be family is really cool and my favorite thing about the whole season.”

Juli Pritchett is excited about going to Disney.

“I think it will be fun to go to Florida with my team and show off all of the hard work we put into the season,” Pritchett said. 

Cassie Flod said is looking forward to the competition season this upcoming year.

“There is so much talent and personality from the JV girls who came up to varsity,” Flod said.    

So many extra activities and practices are going into this season, and it is not going to be easy for varsity cheer. But as Walt Disney said, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”