Throwers Have Impressive Results at Timberland

New school record set at an all-throwers meet

Sarah Downs

Liberty throwers at the all-throwers meet at Timberland.

Sarah Downs, Reporter

Sarah Downs
Lydia Hart has her own javelin that she throws during practice and at our track meets.

When most people hear about track and field, they think about the runners. But most people don’t think about shot put, discus or javelin. The throwers work equally as hard as the athletes on the track. 

Liberty’s throwers went to an all-throwers meet at Timberland High School on April 19. There were 12 schools, including Liberty, competing at this annual all-throwers meet. Liberty’s throwers did very well this year. Many of them set new PRs (personal records), like Maggie Merz in shot, Trey Neal in discus and Lydia Hart in javelin. Lydia Hart not only broke her PR but she also place first in javelin and broke the school record.

“Last year’s record was 104.10 feet,” Hart said. “I threw 108.10 feet in javelin.” Hart was very happy when she heard that she broke the school record, which ended up as first place. Hart is a sophomore and started throwing javelin mid season in her freshman year. She even has her own javelin that she throws.

This year’s throwers are trying hard this year with all of the cold and rough weather that they have been having.

“I have been really impressed with all the throwers. Everyone continues to improve,” Coach Seiler said, who is the new Liberty throwing coach. So next time you hear someone talking about track and field, remember the throwers so that their hard work can be recognized.