Crazy Rich Asians

Spoilers ahead on the groundbreaking and glamorous new film from director Jon M. Chu

Crazy+Rich+Asians+ruled+the+Labor+Day+weekend+box+office%2C+hauling+in+an+additional+%2428.3+million.+

Jessica Gibson

“Crazy Rich Asians” ruled the Labor Day weekend box office, hauling in an additional $28.3 million.

Chasteanne Salvosa, Co-Editor-in-Chief

I was initially skeptical when I had heard a major motion picture production for “Crazy Rich Asians” was underway. I wasn’t too fond of the book, written by Singaporean-American author Kevin Kwan, so much so I didn’t even bother reading its two sequels, “China Rich Girlfriend” and “Rich People Problems.”

I found the characters to be too shallow and the dialogue was written in a way that created a nuanced view of the very culture upon which the book was founded. But as production continued, I began to follow to follow the film nonetheless as it would be exciting to see who Color Force Productions would cast.

Snagging everyone from Taiwanese-American actress Constance Wu, from ABC comedy, “Fresh Off the Boat”, to a cameo from Kris Aquino, the Oprah Winfrey of the Philippines. I was abundantly proud to have, unfold before me, a fully Asian cast, something the cinematic world hadn’t seen in 25 years since “The Joy Luck Club” in 1993.

The plot follows Chinese-American NYU economics professor, Rachel Chu (Constance Wu), when her boyfriend, Nicholas Young (Henry Golding) persuades her to join him for his best friend’s wedding back home in Singapore. Little does Rachel know that Nick’s family enjoys a life of luxury abroad as one of Singapore’s richest families. In the story, Rachel comes to learn a lesson straight out of her own book, “we do not play to win, but play not to lose”.

Filled with dazzling distractions, reminiscent of the Golden Age of Hollywood, “Crazy Rich Asians” is a romantic comedy at heart, chalk-full of the tropes and schemes that thrill every rom-com fan. The plot comes straight out of a teenage girl’s Wattpad dream, one reason I wasn’t too fond of the book. However, films often play off cookie-cutter rom-com plot better than their literary counterparts with the aid of exceptional performances by Michelle Yeoh of “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” fame and Henry Golding, for whom, “Crazy Rich Asians” is his first major film.

Not to be fooled by the film’s ravishing diversions, “Crazy Rich Asians” features a throng of trope-y characters that (unfortunately) do not deviate much from their literary doppelgangers. There’s Nick’s cousin, Eddie (Ronny Chieng), a vain and successful businessman, uncontented with his family, who plays the unrelenting heckler throughout the duration of Nick and Rachel’s trip. Even the film’s most loveable character (in my opinion), Nick’s cousin, Astrid (Gemma Chan), played into her rom-com role as an ally to our protagonist. Luckily, Astrid will have her time to shine in the sequel to “Crazy Rich Asians”, “China Rich Girlfriend”, which follows Astrid’s quest for love. The sequel, which is already under production, was teased in a brief post-credits scene where Astrid and former classmate, Charlie Wu (Harry Shum Jr.), lock eyes from across the bar at Rachel and Nick’s engagement party.

In addition to the amazing fully Asian cast, the film also features an outstanding, diverse soundtrack with all tracks either boasting an Asian writer or performer. From the 1959 classic, “就是戏” (Life is a Play), by Chinese songstress, Yao Lee, to the vibrant film opening track, “Money (That’s What I Want)” by Malaysian singer, Cheryl K and the film’s very own Awkwafina.

The film was carefully crafted over the span of five years, ensuring that each cast member, each song was chosen would both pay respect to the culture, while presenting a contemporary view of the Far East. And the attentiveness has seemed to pay off because at the time of publication of this issue, the film has broken multiple box-office records and has grossed up to $136.9 million worldwide.

And despite the film’s candid title, “Crazy Rich Asians” is a rom-com that can be translated across any culture that can be enjoyed by anybody for generations to come. All in all, “Crazy Rich Asians” is presented in a beautifully wrapped package; a basal rom-com, spiced up with its rich cultural undertones and has the feel of a ground-shaking movement that has been a long time coming for Asian talent in Hollywood.