Positive Mindset Helps Girls Golf To Another Title

Team wins its third consecutive GAC championship

Eliana Moore, Grace Pickering, Zoee Harrington, Kelly Karre, and Jade Moore led the varsity team to their third conference title in a row on Sept. 27.

photo courtesy of LHS golf

Mollie Banstetter, Reporter

This year’s golf team doesn’t have many seniors but they are setting an example for the whole team by having a positive mindset.

“I have been thinking way more positive and I have been trying to have fun,” senior Zoee Harrington said. “I want this last year to be the best. With my new mindset, I am playing a lot better and I am not as hard on myself which makes the game more fun to play.”

Harrington and her teammates are continuing last year’s success as they won their second consecutive Gateway Athletic Conference title on Sept 25. Both Harrington (who was the co-district champion) and teammate Kelly Karre later qualified for sectionals. 

Harrington is working on being more confident in herself.

“If I believe in myself, I can be able to turn it around when I am not playing my best,” she said.

All the girls on the team have improved not only by knowing the rules of the game but ability and strength of hitting the ball.

“I look forward to watching us get better and compete each day,” coach Sodemann said. “I am excited to see how we compete in the conference and district tournaments.”

Sodemann says the team needs to improve on club selection at distances and ability of how to read a putt.

This season’s varsity lineup includes: Zoee Harrington (senior), Taylor Cunningham (senior), Jade Moore (junior), Eliana Moore (sophomore), Grace Pickering (sophomore), Kelly Karre (sophomore), and occasionally Lauren Maxwell (freshman). 

This season’s junior varsity lineup includes Lauren Maxwell (freshman), Mollie Banstetter (freshman), Sydney Bruce (freshman), Amelia Larocca (freshman) and Norah Wibbenmeyer (freshman). The JV teams girls are working hard to secure the two free varsity spots for next year.

“It gets you the high school golf experience without the overwhelming pressure of varsity,” Maxwell and Bruce said talking about the benefit of being on the JV team.

As the season is nearing the end, the whole team seems like a little family, and it’s clear within five minutes of being around the team.