Rivalry Week

The neighboring rivals are always bound for an intense game

Alicia Orlando

Liberty and Timberland faced off their first time two years ago at Liberty. The Eagles will return home this season looking for their first ever win against Timberland.

Nick Howard, Reporter

A rivalry game is a huge element to the season, but a rivalry between two schools that are less than five miles apart is a game that puts pride to the test.

Although neither of the games were very close, the students at each school take the game seriously. Senior Jarrin McKeithen knows that this game has always been talked about between the two schools.

“Out of school I always tell my friends from Timberland that we’re gonna win and it always turns into an argument over the game coming up,” McKeithen said.

The game is set for Friday, Sept. 28 at Liberty at 7 p.m. Both teams have a 3-2 record. 

To prepare for the game, the football team still likes to take it as any other game. Liberty’s Coach McMillen wants the team to stay off social media so no drama stirs up before the game.

“I want the guys to stay off social media and not talk to any of the Timberland players during the game week. Other than that, we like to go into the game taking it just as any other game,” McMillen said.

Although the two schools are very close, having the game at Liberty this year is making some of the players excited about the game this year. Home-field advantage for the team is in Liberty’s favor as senior Grant Baker, Liberty football player, says that most of the school being there should energize the team.

“Having the game at our school this year is going to be a good thing with most of the school being there and the crowd getting behind the team and give us motivation,” Baker said.

The game will be just as intense as the games in the past, but both teams will be more prepared unlike the past. This season is the first time that Liberty and Timberland will face off against each other in the second half of the season in the rivalry. This helps the team as they have more time to fill all the gaps before the big game.

The game is a week after the homecoming game against Washington, which McKeithen thinks the team will be filled with momentum by then.

“More games before Timberland helps us out this year because it helps fix any problems the team has before the game. Having the game a week after the homecoming game will help us be motivated and prepared to go into the game,” McKeithen said.

Liberty is looking to take their first win in the football rivalry this season. The theme is blackout so the usual sea of red, white, and blue will be covered in the shade of black. The Eagles Nest will be loud and proud against the visiting crowd from Timberland.