Taking Center Stage

Liberty students are selected to take part in St. Louis Suburban District Honor Choir

Jessica Gibson

St. Louis Suburban District Honor Choir members are: Front Row: Shaina Feinstein, Michelle Yoder, Emily Grant. Row 2: Emily Grant, Alyssa Place, Wesley Nichols. Not pictured: Dylan Taylor

McKenzie Bartels, Reporter

A group of students have been selected to perform at Pattonville High School on Nov. 3 as part of the St. Louis Suburban District Honor Choir.

The choir teacher, Ms. Kennedy, informed her students about this opportunity and encouraged they all take part it in it.

The audition process on Oct. 6 at Marquette High School wasn’t easy. The students had to prepare a minute of a song and had to practice reading music. They had individual audition times and spent one minute singing and two part sight reading audition. The audition took place on a Saturday, and they didn’t hear the results until Monday.

“It always feels nerve-racking waiting, but it in the end the results were good,” sophomore Alyssa Place said.

Preparing for this performance takes a lot of work. For starters, they will need to work on a lot of their music on their own. Then, as a group they will practice together at Liberty a couple times. On Oct. 29, they will rehearse at Pattonville. The morning of the performance they will spend the morning preparing too.

This is sophomore Shaina Feinstein’s second year participating in this program.

“I made it last year and I was really hoping I would make it again this year. I’m very excited about the event and the fact that I made it,” she said.

The other students participating are: Emily Gann, Emily Grant, Alyssa Place, Dylan Taylor and Michelle Yoder.

Wesley Nichols was also selected to audition for the 2019 All-State Choir. He will participate in another round of auditions, and if selected will sing in the All-State Choir. He is the first Liberty student to earn this opportunity.

“It was crazy to hear because I didn’t think I did that well. I was like…holy cow,” Nichols said.

Nichols will continue to prepare for his next audition with Ms. Kennedy, along with another vocal coach.

Ms. Kennedy is proud of her students for taking part in this and for making it as far as they did.

“I’m really proud of all them and hopefully in the future we can have more students participate too,” she said.  

This is a huge opportunity for these students, and it’s not easy…so everyone should definitely make sure to go support them on Nov. 3.

9-12 SSA District Honor Choir: 
Emily Gann, 11
Emily Grant, 10
Shaina Feinstein, 10
Michelle Yoder, 10
9-12 SATB District Honor Choir: 
Alyssa Place, 10
Dylan Taylor, 11
Wesley Nichols**, 11
**All-State Audition Eligible
Update 11/5: Wesley Nichols made all-state choir as a second alternative bass.