Through The Warm And The Cold

Marching band performs twice one one day - both inside and outside - for their last final two performances of the season

The band led by drum majors for their last show of the season.

Photo provided by Jonica Weiler

Photo provided by Jonica Weiler

Allison Holtschlag and Amelia Lockett

Beginning the day with the mindset of the last competition is normal. But then going from a competition and having to turn right back around for a football game is difficult. The hardest part was having different temperatures between the two. The adventure the band went on was interesting.

The band started their day Oct. 26 by going to the dome at America’s Center in St. Louis for Bands Of America (BOA), a place where different bands from the Midwest come together to show all the hard work they have done. Performing inside is different when the band is used to being outside. Instead of the sound going out, away from the band, inside the dome it bounces of the walls and echos, causing a delay in sound for the band.

“It was a cool experience, but also very weird because the drumline was echoing off the walls,” freshman Kent Masten said. The band ended with 71 out of 73, being higher than last year’s scores.

One of the perks of being inside is that they don’t have to deal with weather. For band kids, cold weather can cause the instruments to be flat and for guard, can cause their hands to become colder.

“The hardest part is when it’s cold outside and the flagpole is sitting on the field for awhile, making your hands extra cold when you pick it up,”  sophomore Eric Welker said.

After performing at the dome, the band packed up everything and headed back to Liberty for the playoff game. The band students were sitting in their uniforms on the bus for about 45 minutes, restricted and tired but surprisingly still having fun. Somewhat dreading playing again, the band got their instruments of the trailer and got ready to play for the last time.

“I felt ready. It hadn’t hit me yet that this was pretty much it for me since I’m a senior,” senior Braden McMakin said.

With the band in school spirit, they cheered on the football team while waiting for the final performance of the season. Once halftime came around, it was showtime. They had every piece of the show ready to make one last show the best.

Through being up early, performing at BOA then heading back to school for the football game, the band showed great support to all the other bands and especially to our football team. In conclusion to the season, the band overall improved from last year. It was a great season and they all hope for many more.

About the Writer
Amelia Lockett, Reporter

Amelia is a sophomore and this is her first year of being on the publication staff.  She plays the clarinet in marching and concert band. She also hopes...