Mental Health vs. School Work

Should students put mental health first?

At+times%2C+every+student+will+feel+a+lack+of+motivation.+But+how+can+students+get+out+of+it%3F+

Sophia Seger

At times, every student will feel a lack of motivation. But how can students get out of it?

Sophia Seger, Reporter

School work is a lot for students, and poor mental health is something that sets kids back in school. Most parents pressure their kids to put school first and maintain good grades but for kids with illnesses like depression and anxiety can make it hard to find the motivation needed to do good and make their parents happy.

“School work is hard to complete on time, but it’s expected of you so you should put school work first or try and find a way to balance both,” freshman Belle Maxwell said. Maxwell still finds completing school work hard but knows it’s important for the sake of her future.

Guidance counselor Ms. Wooten often sees students let academics slide when they are struggling. They might be ready to do academics but are overwhelmed by the work they did not do.

“Of course I think mental health is important, but I don’t think the answer is black and white,” counselor Ms. Wooten said. “Students can’t get anything done if they aren’t mentally stable.”

At times, every student will feel a lack of motivation, But how can students get out of it? Well, teachers can help by encouraging students and rewarding small victories. Make sure students are involved in the listen in some way, give them a reason to pay attention.

Of course I think mental health is important, but I don’t think the answer is black and white.

— counselor, Laura Wootten

Wooten has advice for unmotivated students.

“Motivation is so individualized,” Wooten said. “I guess I would recommend that students really try to decide on what is important to them.  Do they want to please their parents? Feel good about themselves? Avoid consequences? Be eligible for sports? Have other people like them? (and much more) Once a student knows what is important to them, I would think that setting small goals to move in that direction might be helpful.”