Should We Adjust The Extents Of Gender Binary Bathroom?

Are bathrooms more struggle than they are worth?

+In+full+retrospect%2C+we+should+really+acknowledge+the+phrase+of+this+generation%2C+%27Cinnamon+rolls%2C+not+gender+roles%27.

In full retrospect, we should really acknowledge the phrase of this generation, 'Cinnamon rolls, not gender roles'.

Elizabeth Hamby, Reporter

Do you give much thought when you walk into the restroom? Do you examine your expression or worry that someone will walk in and question if you’re in the right bathroom?

If not, you are one of the lucky ones that don’t have to worry about the anxiety and worry that may come by just the simple task of using the restroom.

However, if you experience this worry, you are not alone. The Trans Pathways project – a 2016 survey by Telethon Kids Institute of gender nonconforming people aged 14-25 years – revealed 48 percent of those surveyed were non-binary, according to a Guardian article.

In full retrospect, we should really acknowledge the phrase of this generation, ‘Cinnamon rolls, not gender roles’. Because as it also addresses in the Guardian, “What is it that we do in bathrooms? Why does it need to be connected to our body or gender?”

Are we forcing gender roles on to society without knowing it? Or are we fully aware?

The debacle came up in Texas of 2017, with the attempt to pass the Senate Bill that would enforce that citizens use the bathroom that is displayed on their birth certificate rather than what their gender identity is.

So as it may not be a problem for most, for gender-queer, transgender humans need a place to feel safe to disrobe and do their business.

Ivan Coyote, a transgender individual, said in a Ted Talk that he doesn’t fit neatly into the gender binary and said that all people need a safe place to pee.

Now I’m not saying that we should get rid of “boy” and “girl” bathrooms in public places because of the arising of sexual predators. But to make the world a safer place for everybody we should make gender-neutral single stall bathrooms.

No one would feel called out or vulnerable, empowered to know that their personal business is not anybody else’s.

“ […] Or telling yourself that giving a trans person a safe place to pee offends your morality or masculinity or religious beliefs then just let me appeal to the part of your heart hopefully that does care about the rest of the population,” Coyote said.

So as the accepting generation that we are, let’s make this change even if it is costly or unethical to some, let’s make 2019 the year that we make great changes for the public safety of citizens.