Growing and Changing

Wentzville School District has changes in place for the years to come

photo courtesy of Joseph Richter, Wentzville School District 

The Wentzville School District community collaborates to come up with their priorities for the next couple years.

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Every five years, the Wentzville School District plans a Guiding Principles of our Schools (GPS) meeting to reflect on past years and to implement and improve for the upcoming years. This is a series of three meetings to help shape the district’s next five year Comprehensive School Improvement Plan (CSIP).

“The purpose of all three GPS meetings is to educate our stakeholders (students, parents, staff and community members) on where we have been (accomplishments over the last five years) and the challenges the district is facing moving forward,” chief communications officer Mary LaPak said.

photo courtesy of Wentzville School District
Crossroads principal Damian Fay (left) and Lakeview principal Douglas Holler (far right) discuss some items that surprised them during the meeting.

During the meeting, members of the board highlighted finances, facilities and staff but also enhancing on the growth the district will see in the years to come.

“I hope that through conversation Wentzville can continue to encourage high academic achievement and continue positive momentum of the district,” assistant principal Mr. Kiesel said.  The district is the 11th largest district in Missouri and is anticipating more students which in turn Wentzville School District will be adding a new high school, new elementary and classroom additions to Barfield Early Childhood Center, Pearce Hall and Peine Ridge as well as adding a second gym to Holt High School.

I think our district has done a great job anticipating enrollment projections and working hard to address any issues that have arisen due to our consistently growing population of students. I hope we continue to stay the course and don’t cut any corners. Our finance department has done a fantastic job remaining fiscally responsible,” assistant principal Dr. Kiely said.

While the district is growing, the hope is that the district will further improve financial needs such as keeping salaries and benefits competitive in order to attract support staff and teachers and possible new course options for students.

“I would like to take a good look at the pay in comparison to neighboring districts especially for our support staff. Furthermore, I would love to see new course offerings for students. I think the CAPS program has been a fabulous opportunity and I would like to see more Wentzville grown opportunities for students to get real-world applicable life experiences and lessons through their high school curriculum,” Dr. Kiely said.

Having a competitive salary for both support staff and teachers will help us retain fantastic people, and attract new candidates. Both teachers and our support staff play a vital role in our students’ educational experience. If we continue to grow as a district and push the limits in our course offerings I believe we will produce the best possible student who will come out with some amazing experiences, setting them apart from students in neighboring districts.”

For the next five years, the district will continue to make positive changes that will impact not only students but staff too.

Dr. Cain talks during the meeting about the Wentzville School District and how much the district has grown over the years.

“I think that the district is moving in a very positive and successful way and I hope that momentum continues,” Mr. Kiesel said.