Welcome To Liberty

Link Crew is seeking new students for the 2019-2020 school year

Olivia Holler

Seniors Christian Tebeau and Maya Angeles tell each other about their life stories as part of a four day training event in the summer for Link Crew.

Jessica Gibson, Reporter

Going into high school can be a big jump from eighth grade. It can be a hard transition for some students and super stressful or scary. The one hallway in middle school students are used to walking in turns into a never-ending hallway that feels like you’ve been walking back and forth for five minutes.

Luckily for incoming freshmen, Link Crew is there to help. Link Crew is a program for incoming freshman and any new students to help them get ready for a new school. In the club, juniors and seniors are able to direct new students in the path of success, whether it’s showing them the do’s and don’ts or mapping out the school.

“We teach freshmen and new students how to handle high school-related problems and how to be more out there and socialize with others,” junior Lilia Taylor said. “You can definitely help yourself while helping others.”

Link Crew members participate in a summer training program at school that prepared them for the freshman orientation. The camp takes place a week before Slam Day. The program is a four-day camp held at Liberty by the sponsor of the club, Mr. Eversole. During those four days, members are taught games and activities of encouragement to help the new students express themselves and find their groups during their first year at Liberty.

There is a recruitment process before the school year ends to determine who will be in the club. Teachers recommend 3-4 students who they think would be a good asset to the program. Most juniors will have a chance to participate again in their senior year. Next year, any Link Crew member will also be able to take Link Crew as a class.

“I have received about new 170 names from teachers so far, not including the juniors that I will plan to invite back,” Mr. Eversole said. “Hopefully, if we can get everyone back, we’ll have about 200 Link leaders.”

This year was the first time Link Crew was able to participate in the Timberland Link Crew Workshop. Junior Lilia Taylor, junior Allison Burkett, senior Zoe Harrington, senior Maria Fernandez and junior Annalisa Kercher all attended the workshop and each of them was pleased with the outcome.

“I suggest going to the workshop because it was a lot of fun and you get to meet people from other schools that have the same interest as you,” junior Allison Burkett said.

Link Crew is a great club to participate in. Not only are you helping the incoming freshmen and new students, but you also benefit yourself by being able to help others.