Going Out

Do we deserve to go off campus for lunch?

Giving+students+the+ability+to+go+off+campus+for+lunch+teaches+them+responsibility+among+other+things.+

Giving students the ability to go off campus for lunch teaches them responsibility among other things.

Haleigh McCune, Reporter

If you were to ask a random person, what would their opinion be of a teenager? More specifically, a high schooler. I can tell you that most would have negative things to say before something good was ever brought up.

But is this fair? I mean, yeah. Some of us are reckless, irresponsible and sometimes downright rude. But can we learn? Could something that we want help us to fix these things?

Off campus lunches.

I know what you’re thinking. Absolutely not. But think about it for a minute. What actually is the big deal?

Administrators might say that we can’t handle it or students won’t come back to school. But if you think about it, we already have so much responsibility as a part of Liberty already.  

Athletes are expected to show up to their practices and games on time, club members are expected to take care of projects, money and help with different service projects involving the community. Not to mention publications. Being able to trust a student with expensive cameras, stands and other equipment is an important part of our teacher’s job.

Another argument that will be brought up is that students will not come back to school.

Here’s the thing. If high schoolers didn’t want to come back to school after getting food, then they would just not come in the first place. What is the point in getting up early to get food and then go home when you could just sleep until whenever, and then leisurely get some fries?

Students are smart. If they want to leave, they’re going to ask their parents to call them out or not come at all. Not go home during lunch.

This is especially true if they know that these privileges can be taken away from them.

By allowing this to happen, students can learn the value of money, time management and other important lessons. And if a student left something at home, or they need to get something for soccer or Student Council (StuCo), I know the perfect time to do it.