Getting to know Amber Stockton

Just how well do you know Liberty’s star softball catcher?

Max Fensterman, Reporter

Liberty’s sports teams are a huge part of our school. But exactly how well do you know our teams and players?

Senior Amber Stockton is a core member of Liberty’s softball program.

For her, it all started when she was 6 and signed up to play teeball. And at 10 she found her true passion, softball. From her early age, she had great ambitions.

“My dream was to make varsity as a freshman, but Liberty didn’t have a varsity team at the time so I had to give that up,” Stockton said.

In her first year playing high school softball at Liberty, she quickly found her role playing catcher, which she continues to do, although she sometimes played shortstop when needed.

During her junior year, the softball program finally had enough players to split into two teams, a JV and varsity team. Stockton made the varsity team, which fulfilled part of her dream even if it was a few years late.

This year, Stockton was picked as one of three captains of the varsity team. She shares responsibilities alongside junior Taylor Jones and senior Colette Linden.

In addition, she is one of only three players who have stayed with the program since their freshman team of 17 girls.

Stockton is one of the top offensive players on the Eagles this season in batting average and RBIs.

Liberty’s pitcher, junior Gabbi Evans, has played with Stockton since their younger days and says softball brought them closer together.

“Pitching and catching itself is like a friendship, It brought us closer together because we always have to work hand and hand on the field,” Stockton said.

After her high school softball days are over, Stockton would like to play at the next level if given the opportunity.

“If I got offered a scholarship, I would play [softball] in college. But, if not, I’m fine being a normal college student.”

As far as what college she plans to attend, she’s not sure yet.

“I plan on completing the A+ program and using the free two years at community college, finishing at a four year university, I’m just not sure which one yet.”

She’s equally undecided about her future career, but said that she is interested in the medical field, possibly in dermatology. She was inspired by her parents’ line of work.

“My parents were both in the medical field, they worked for a plastic surgeon and then an orthopedist,” Stockton said.