Have you ever wondered what Homecoming was like for your teachers?

Maryssa Jones, Reporter

It was 2009 at John F. Kennedy High School. Coach Luedecke was a junior and he was attending his homecoming. Luedecke went with his date Paige Stewart and her older brother who was Luedecke’s

img_0417
Coach Luedecke (on the right)

best friend, Dan Stewart. Luedecke’s best friend went with his date, Madeline Phillips who was best friends with Paige, but Luedecke didn’t know her at the time. Little did Luedecke know, that Madeline Phillips would be his future wife. Luedecke remembers sitting at the table with everybody. But then Dan and Paige left suddenly with just Luedecke and Madeline just at the table by themselves. Luedecke says it was very awkward because they didn’t know each other at the time

It was 2004 at Timberland High School and Coach McMillen was at his senior prom. “My friends and I went downtown to eat before the dance at the Lemp Mansion,” McMillen said. “We all met up and rode in a limo bus so we had to drop cars off where prom was being held so we could get home. When I left to meet up for the bus, I completely forgot to grab my keys for my car that was already parked where the dance was being held. My parents had to drive all the way downtown to give me the keys.  I was glad I remembered at dinner and not as we were walking out after prom. Sitting outside my car waiting on my parents to bring me my keys would have made an awesome impression on my date.”

img_7676
Mrs. Braswell

It was 2001 and Mrs. Braswell was at her prom at Lafayette High School. She went to prom on a blind date with her crush… she was extremely nervous and didn’t talk to him all night. “It was so, so, so awkward,” she said. Her prom was at the Fox Theater and while washing her hands in the bathroom she heard the “The Cha-Cha Slide” come on. She immediately darted up the stairs in search of the dance floor in order to show off her moves but she skipped the last stair  She ungracefully fell and skidded across the carpet getting a gnarly case of rug burn on her arms and bruising her ego. “I also missed a majority of the song.”

It was 2003 senior prom at Howell High School for Mrs. Genenbacher. She had everything all set up with a big bunch of her friends. “We had a limo had hair appointments and nail appointments, had my dress and my shoes and everything,” she said. I woke up the next morning and was really sick to my stomach. I had the flu and I felt just awful so I was in the bathroom sick all day crying, “I can’t go to prom, I can’t go to prom.” I need to cancel this I need to cancel that, and my mom was like, ‘you’re going. It’s your senior prom and you have to go.’ I look gross, it was just so awful. I remember sitting on the bathroom floor like weak

img-min-min_mini_mini_mini-min-min-min
Mrs. Genenbacher

and tired like resting my head on the against the cabinet and my mom fixing my hair and doing my makeup and painting my nails.” Genenbacher said her mom told her “You’re going even if you’re just going for pictures and you just have to walk in and walk right out, you have to go.” Her mom forced her to go and did her hair, makeup, nails and got her up dressed. “As soon as we got to the park that we were taking pictures at I like felt fine and I went to prom and I danced and I ate and I had a great time and it was awesome. Thank God my mom pushed me otherwise it would’ve been like dance time and I would of been at home like, ‘Aw man I feel better’ and all of my friends were at prom and I’m just on the couch at home. Thank goodness she pushed me otherwise I wouldn’t have gone!”

Save

Save

Save

Save