Captain Proves There’s No “I” in Team

Rylee Miller has always given her all for her teammates

Meghan Coyle

Rylee Miller in action during a home game against Washington last season.

Ally Schniepp, Reporter

Countdown to first game of the season

[wpdevart_countdown text_for_day=”Days” text_for_hour=”Hours” text_for_minut=”Minutes” text_for_second=”Seconds” countdown_end_type=”date” end_date=”04-09-2019 17:00″ start_time=”1567093164″ end_time=”0,1,1″ action_end_time=”hide” content_position=”center” top_ditance=”10″ bottom_distance=”10″ ]Go Eagles vs. Troy![/wpdevart_countdown]

Some athletes are self centered and aim for personal achievement, senior Rylee Miller is the opposite. Miller has been a varsity setter all four years of her high school volleyball career, not only because of her skills, but because of her dedication to being a team player.

“I always want to be the best I can be for my teammates,” Miller said. She uses her teammates as motivation to improve her game 24/7. Miller has always been a leader on the court, according to teammate Lizzy Harvey.

“She was always given the captain’s spot when we were younger and the coaches always trusted her no matter what,” Harvey said of Miller. 

Coach McFarland is one of the many coaches to recognize Miller’s talent in leading her teammates. 

She leads by example, is a strong role model, and is awesome at uplifting her teammates,” McFarland said. He looks to Miller to lead the team, and the rest of the players do as well.

“She is a talented dedicated athlete who has three years of varsity experience,” McFarland went on to say. 

Miller, Harvey, and the rest of the seniors are determined to make this season one to remember.

Ally Schniepp
Rylee Miller is a four year varsity player who had 34 aces last season and is excited for more this year.

“We want to show them what we are capable of,” Miller said. The team is motivated to have a winning season this year, led by Miller and the other seniors. McFarland is looking forward to working with Miller again this season.

Rylee gives 110% at practice and at games. She’s always working hard and putting the teams needs in front of her own,” McFarland said. She works alongside her fellow seniors to lead by example.

“I like being able to run the court,” Miller said of her leadership role on the team. As a setter, Miller leads the court by communicating with her team. She calls the plays, and dictates where the ball goes. 

Miller has plans of attending Missouri S&T for volleyball next fall. Without her hustle and perseverance, she wouldn’t be where she is now. Although Miller has accomplished many goals throughout her high school career, she is still pushing to make it on the leaderboard for stats her senior year.