The Generation Gap

A closer look at the generational division between Baby Boomers and Millennials/Generation Z

Sruthi Ramesh

‘Ok Boomer’ has become the internet’s favorite way to shut down factually incorrect arguments from Baby Boomers.

Ashley Haberberger, Reporter

Tension between generations has always been a part of our society, so why does the division between Baby Boomers and Millennials/Gen. Z feel so big? 

With advancements being made in science, technology, and social justice almost every day, the world is changing (for the better), and for those not raised in this “modern era,” it can be hard to catch up. Every generation mocks the ones before them, but social media has made it easier to make jokes, tell horror stories of interactions with the stereotypical boomer, and start trends. But this also means boomers are more likely to see this “ridicule,” and possibly get offended by it, further cementing their idea of “disrespectful youths.”

Sophomore Olivia Overton, a member of Generation Z, feels that if baby boomers took the time to work on being more open and accepting, intergenerational relations would improve.

“So much has changed politically and socially in our generation. Boomers grew up in a drastically different time period; they either have to adapt or stay set in their ways,” Overton said. “Most boomers’ feelings toward Gen. Z, and vise versa, are just based on stereotypes.”

While lack of understanding from both sides is actively contributing to this division, millennial Mr. Eversole believes that healthy conversation is the best way to help younger generations see eye to eye with boomers.

“I think that whenever there are differences between people, trying to have an honest dialogue while assuming the best intentions is the best way to lessen that difference. Part of the whole reason ‘Ok Boomer’ became a thing is because we tried to have that conversation and they didn’t listen,” Eversole said.

What generation are you a part of?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Mr. Bertenshaw, a baby boomer, agrees that “there has always been a kind of battle or war between generations.”  In comparing baby boomers to Gen Z or millennials, he feels it is, “the level of experience, which doesn’t make a person better or worse, it makes them different, almost incomparable.”

“Millennials may believe they already know everything, but in reality, their education is just beginning. In addition, [technology] is either going to be a big distraction or a big opportunity for them,” Bertenshaw said. “They’ve already been handed so much, more than any other generation. Only they can decide what they’re going to do with it.”

In order for society to move forward, differences must be talked through, so we can successfully embrace every generation. After all, coexistence is the first step towards a brighter future.