CVC 2020

Liberty held its annual Coaches vs Cancer game Jan. 24 against Fort Zumwalt North

Lauren Spakowski

Senior Zach Kerns show pride after the parting of the Red Sea.

Ally Schniepp, Sports Editor

The yearly Coaches vs Cancer games were this past Friday, Jan 24, where the school helps to raise donations to the American Cancer Society. 

Coach Sodemann gave a heartwarming speech before the boys game, telling the crowd what the game was really all about and how it related to his life personally, due to his father and assistant coach Papa Sodemann having cancer. As a community, the game raised around $200 to fight cancer from the miracle minute at half time, according to Student Council.

“The night meant more to our program as my dad, our assistant coach, was diagnosed with prostate cancer this past fall,” Coach Sodemann said.

Haleigh McCune
Coach Sodemann makes a heartwarming speech at the assembly earlier that day and between the varsity games explaining what the importance of Coaches vs Cancer is.

Although, the games did not turn out the way fans wanted – the girls lost 40-32 and the boys lost 78-53 –  the event was held for a bigger reason that night, which was to raise money for the American Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society was founded in 1993 and has raised over $100 million since its foundation. 

“The coaches vs cancer game and organization is important because it raises money for cancer research and provides education and resources for those struggling with this disease,” Sodemann said.

Leading scorers from the varsity teams were senior Mia VanPamel with 13 points and junior Gabe McCrary with 16 points. The teachers and cheer performed an entertaining dance routine during halftime. The Liberty Belles also performed a beautiful and heartfelt dance between halves. 

Another exciting tradition that took place on the 24 was the annual parting of the Red Sea. This year, the sea was parted by senior Zach Kerns, who was honored to be a part of the iconic tradition.

“I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to be a part of it and really get the crowd involved. At the end, when everybody gets excited about the whole thing, it feels really rewarding to be the one to lead that,” Kerns said.