First of Many Elections

Primaries on March 10 are over but it gave many opportunities to people

Liberty+was+a+polling+place+for+those+voting+in+the+Missouri+primaries.+

LHS Publications

Liberty was a polling place for those voting in the Missouri primaries.

Elizabeth Hamby, Reporter

March 10 was the primary election for the states of Missouri, Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Washington.  

The results are in for Missouri primaries and Joe Biden has won for the Democrats, which increased his delegate lead over opponent Bernie Sanders, 177-111.  Biden cruised to victory in Missouri, capturing 60.1% (399,439 votes) while Sanders had 34.6% (229,638 votes)

As for Liberty, we had our own polling station right here for people in the area to vote. And on the ballot were some candidates that have already dropped out. 

Many seniors got the chance to vote, newly turning 18, so they could let their voices be heard through the new opportunity. Morgan Harris-Guyton was one of them. She was very excited about the new opportunity. 

“I mean I felt a little nervous when my dad told me I would be able to vote and stressed out about who to vote for,” Harris-Guyton said.  

She was very open-minded about how her vote could do great things for the country while feeling a tad bit out of place. 

“I felt a little bit out of place but not too much because I know my vote could help change the presidential election for the next time around,” Harris-Guyton said.  

Another first-time voter was senior Megan Kruse, who had mixed feelings about the whole ordeal. 

“It made me feel empowered and like I was an adult now,” Kruse said. 

She said she was definitely nervous going in, and asked all her teachers for advice and what to do for the day. After seventh hour she went down to the small gym and made her voice heard. 

Kruse had an interesting experience with her first-time voting when she asked for one ballot and got the other. She did ask for another one so that she could get the people she wanted though. 

“In the end, it’s how I expected,” Kruse said about the voting process. 

Mr. Tutterow, a government teacher, encourages students to vote as much as they possibly can. He even helps them register. 

“If you become a voter earlier you’re more likely to continue voting in the future,” Tutterow said. 

As for him, he didn’t get the chance to vote when he was 18, but he watched all his friends vote. He voted for the first time when he was 21 in the election of 2008. 

“I have voted every year since,” Tutterow said.