Sweet Victory

Moon visits Liberty to present the win of the STL Safe Driver competition

Sweet+Victory

Sarah Martin

Liberty received a $10,000 check for winning the safe driver pledge
Students show their love for Jim Butler by making signs of his head and name.
Students were excited to win $10,000 and a concert

After many long months, the safe drivers’ contest has finally reached its end. Liberty won with an incredible 40,000 pledges after leading the majority of the competition.

Greek Fire’s lead singer, Moon, along with the President of Jim Butler Auto Group, Brad Sowers, visited Liberty on Nov. 4 to announce Liberty’s win. Liberty received a check for $10,000 and will receive a concert at a later date.

Principal Mr. Nelson mentioned that the students will take part in deciding where the money is used.

Moon feels deeply about this competition. With his children beginning to drive, safe driving is very important to him.

“I’m a father,” Moon said. “And I’ve lost a lot of people to driving and accidents.”

Moon believes that it is important for his children to be safe drivers, but also everyone else out on the road. He feels so strongly about safe driving that he called this his most important campaign that he has been involved with.

Towards the end of the competition, it was lengthened so that more schools could get involved. The unexpected change had caused rumors to spread around Liberty, and everyone was wondering, Why was was the the contest extended?

It was stated on the site that they have the right to change the rules without any notice.

“The only reason we extended the program is to get the word out to more teens in the community,” Jim Butler representative Cheryl Cooper said.

The adjustment had many Liberty students distressed due to holding the leading position for so long. Students did not want to risk losing because of the extension.

“I think because I know that we’re winning, but it keeps going on so there’s a chance that we wouldn’t win,” sophomore Hannah Stricker said.

For Liberty to keep their lead, students had to push and continue to vote.

“We just have to show them Liberty won’t stop pledging and we have a strong community that supports our youth,” physical education teacher Ms. Kleiber said. 

More schools became involved, but that also meant more competition for Liberty.

“It is a good thing, because it does allow the organization to try to get more people aware of the program and help reinforce to the community the importance of safe driving,” Kleiber said.