Clubs Overcoming Challenges for 2020

Club leaders discuss plans for the 20-21 school year

Elaine Thimyan

Clubs have been some of the best ways to be involved in high school. COVID-19 has caused group leaders to make tough decisions about their clubs and how they will function.

Elaine Thimyan, Reporter

Part of the high school experience is joining clubs. Whether it is to put something on a college essay, get out of the house or to connect and make new friends, clubs have been some of the best ways to be involved in high school. COVID-19 has caused group leaders to make tough decisions about their clubs and how they will function. Everything from how their clubs will interact with its members to how they can help the community and the school has to be thought of in a different light.

One of the ongoing active clubs is Key Club. Key Club is a dedicated to service in the community, particularly service to young people in need. Mr. Barker is the sponsor for Key Club and they’re already making adjustments this school year.

“The Key Club leadership team has been meeting virtually to try and brainstorm how to overcome the COVID-19 limitations,” Mr. Barker said.

While Key Club might have limitations on their group services, they have still be involved in the little ways that they can.

“So far we have created a welcome video to be seen by the school to invite new members, and we have held many meetings to figure out how to still be lots of fun with the Level 2 school precautions.  Add social distancing to that mix and it has been quite a challenge,” Barker said. “But our kids have a great spirit, and I know there’s an awesome service project in our future soon.”

Junior Sruthi Ramesh is involved in many clubs: she is the captain of  both speech and debate and mock trial, and is the president of Key Club. When asked how clubs have been meeting, Ramesh said there’s been an underwhelming response.

“I haven’t heard from over half of them, so I’m assuming they’re trying to figure it out,” Ramesh said.

Since she’s very involved at Liberty, Ramesh has given a little insight on how other clubs are planning to go about this year.

“HOSA is focusing on spreading health info, Link Crew held a virtual freshman orientation, and Speech & Debate is going to try to hold virtual competitions,” Ramesh said.

Despite all the questions being asked with our new ever changing world, students at Liberty are finding innovative ways to stay connected to each other.

“If there’s one thing that our school specializes in, it’s upholding tradition,” Ramesh said.

If you would like to find out more about clubs at Liberty, click here to find out more