Anne-Arky Debuts

The One-Act sets to be livestreamed on 10/22 & 10/23 due to COVID-19 restrictions

Paige Bostic

The show was pre-recorded by Publications’ Jayce Haun (10), Rhett Cunningham (10), and Sruthi Ramesh (11).

Paige Bostic, Executive Videographer

While the COVID-19 pandemic has affected many extracurriculars and clubs, the Drama Club has been able to continue bringing its performances to the LHS Theater. This semester, in place of the fall musical, the Drama Club brings us the play Anne-Arky.

The one-act show follows the story of a high school drama club preparing to put on its play- Anne of Green Gables. However, when the club learns that there will be an acting agent scouting at the show, the students fall over themselves to be discovered. Student romances flare, some actors go missing, and the script is set on fire! At the end of the show, the audience will find out who the true agent is. The LHS cast and crew of Anne-Arky has been preparing quickly, rehearsing since Sept. 18 to bring Liberty a chaotically ridiculous production.

Due to safety restrictions placed by the school district, only immediate family can see the show live, its final show being tonight, Oct. 23. Actors will wear clear masks for expressions and families will have to social distance while being seated. For the rest of us excited theatergoers, the show will live-streamed and recorded to watch again. Families can expect to see their actors performing at 7 p.m. tonight, with a cast featuring such actors as Sean Bruce, Payton Busselmen, Connor Higlen and Cassie Tarrant. Managers include Mykenzie Waller, Matthew Washburn, and Shaina Feinstein. LHSToday reached out to Sean Bruce – who will be portraying the wise-cracking Doug-  about performing during the pandemic.

“It was weird at first, to try and give facial expressions from behind a mask,” explains Bruce. “But in the end, it really helped us act to a whole new level that we are so proud to be at. We stay distant at all times and we wear masks, [but there] are moments when I have to be close to people because of what’s happening in the scene. But we stay safe when we can. . .we [make] sure we are all doing well.”

The show has certainly been a challenge for cast and crew to bring, especially when the craft calls for often close quarters. Regardless, the Drama Club has worked hard to maintain a safe and fun environment for them and the audience alike!