P.E. Department Hosts ‘Rock Your Socks’ 5K And 1 Mile Run

Mrs. Hall encourages wellness and physical activity with a virtual race in December

Sabryn Gibson, Reporter

The P.E. department is hosting a virtual race led by Mrs. Hall called Liberty Eagles Rock your Socks 5K and 1-mile run, which will take place from Dec. 5-12. The race is open to high school students, staff, and all of the community. The P.E. department is doing this race as a way to get people outdoors and active. They encourage participants to wear crazy socks of their favorite colors, characters, or superheroes with the “Rock your Socks” theme. 

Register by Nov. 16 to ensure you get your shirt and bib in time for the race.

The race will be all virtual. Participants can track their running by using a GPS or any other running tracking device and share their results with Fleet Feet if you want to be competitive, and if not just dress up and run for fun. Participants can run anytime throughout the week and anywhere. You can even make your own finish line.

Mrs. Hall wears her crazy socks to promote her ‘Rock your Socks’ 5k race. (Sabryn Gibson)

“Since the pandemic in March, opportunities for physical activity have been limited in part due to fear of exposure and this is a great way to get a head start on a New Year’s resolution or to continue remaining physically active while also competing with other runners/walkers,” P.E. department chair Mr. Jolliff said.  

The main goal for this race is to get people out and active. With the pandemic, it has been challenging for everyone to get out and get active without risking anyone’s safety so this race is a perfect way to help our community to participate in something that will help them stay healthy.

“We want to encourage fitness, enjoy time outdoors, and encourage personal goals for yourself that promote a healthy lifestyle. I don’t know about you, but I want to live to be 100+ years old,” Mr. Jolliff said.

This race isn’t just about staying physically healthy, but mentally healthy as well. Especially during the winter, seasonal depression is prevalent in almost everyone.

I picture the smiles I will see once an accomplishment is met while with friends in the midst of laughter and fun. The socks are added to understand that a race does not have to be pressure – it can be fun, goofy, and creative.

— Mrs. Hall, organizer of Rock Your Socks 5K

Mrs. Hall knows the rewarding results of physical activity as best as anyone seeing as she has run in two Olympic marathon trials. 

“I know what the power of movement has done for me personally – physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, financially, and more,” Mrs. Hall said. “The gift of movement is priceless. The value of accomplishing a goal is exhilarating – and if even one person realizes this by signing up and completing this race – I’ve done service with a gift I have been given.”  

For many, physical activity and sports are more than just keeping your body healthy but your mind as well. Having a physical outlet like a sport or any activity can benefit your physical and mental health exponentially. Coming together with other people (even virtually) and working towards a common goal is what makes this Liberty Eagles “Rock your Socks” 5K so special. 

“I picture the smiles I will see once an accomplishment is met while with friends in the midst of laughter and fun. The socks are added to understand that a race does not have to be pressure – it can be fun, goofy, and creative,” Mrs. Hall said. 

This race promotes wellness and getting out and active while having fun. If you are interested in participating go to this link.

If you want to hear more about Mrs.Hall and how the Liberty Eagles “Rock your Socks” 5k came to be, listen to this interview from KMOX with Mrs. Hall.