Young Swim And Dive Team Making Progress

Two swimmers discuss the new-look team that is half underclassmen

Blake Cunningham, Reporter

The future is bright for the LHS swim team. Out of the 13 swimmers, half of them are underclassmen. 

We talked to two swimmers – senior Amar Selmanovic and sophomore Jaxon Drezek – about how their season is going so far.

Amar Selmanovic is the team’s only senior and one of the captains of the team. He was surprised to see all the new freshmen on the team.

“At the beginning they looked nervous, but getting to know them they have gotten used to competitive swim,” Selmanovic said.  

One of the team highlights this season so far was at the Roger Eastman Swim and Dive Invitational meet hosted by Fort Zumwalt North where LHS placed third overall on Oct. 3.

“We’re strong at relays and strategizing. After multiple meets, we know where everyone is best at,” Selmanovic said. “Putting swimmers where they are best at. We try everyone in different at various spots.”

The team has GACs next week Monday and Wednesday.

“Between now and then, we’re tapering leading up to that event to have some high intensity swims,” Selmanovic said.  

Sophomore Jax Drezek swims the 100-meter butterfly at senior night against Francis Howell Central. (Sarah Downs)

Jaxon Drezek, a sophomore, says the season has been going well and they have a good amount of team wins.

“I think we’ve won more this year than last year,” Drezek said. “We have a lot of freshmen and they’re doing very well. They’ve had past experience so that’s what you need on a competitive swim team.”

They’ve been getting a lot of first and second place wins at meets. Also, he says that they may have a chance at GAC’s this year. 

As for COVID, Drezek said there isn’t really a concern with swimming since they have different lanes blocking them off and they’re pretty much socially distanced in the water.

Only immediate family are allowed at swim meets this fall.

“Fewer people is a little disappointing but we’ll take it at this point with all the COVID going on,” Drezek said.