Swimming Has Taught Athlete To Push Himself 

Freshman Dalton Rice shows the valuable lessons learned with swimming

Abby Jordan

Dalton Rice started swimming when he was 7, and is now on the LHS swim and dive team.

Ella Pinz, Reporter

Freshman Dalton Rice believes the sport of swimming has not only taught him self-responsibility but also to push himself to be the best.

“Being a part of a sport like swimming has really shown me that the only person who can push you is you,” Rice said. 

Rice first began swimming at the age of 7 where he saw how naturally it came to him and decided to pursue it. 

“I joined a team and well, it stuck,” he said.

Right away Rice started to make friends, and being on a team allowed him to bond with others quickly. They all instantly have something in common that made them alike- a love and ability to swim. There’s a sense of family, trust, proudness, and excitement for one another.

“There is so much support on the LHS team,” Rice said. “We are so proud of one another and everyone is always trying to be the best they can be.”

In swim, everyone has a stroke that fits them, their go-to or favorite stroke whether it’s backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle, butterfly, everyone has one. For Rice, it’s freestyle – a stroke that involves being face down towards the water, arms, and legs pulling you through the water while alternating, left, right, left, right. This type of stroke needs to be performed by someone who processes a strong stroke and steady pace, something Rice is good at.

“Dalton really is just one of those people who are fun to be around and just an overall funny guy, I’m sure that is an awesome quality to have while on a team,” freshman Rylee Shipes said. 

When Rice isn’t swimming, he finds some way to remain active and fit, especially right now with COVID. Doing wrestling and then track and field in the offseason, he also works out at home occasionally when he feels he needs an extra push.

Will swimming be a part of his future? Truth is he’s not sure. For him, swimming really depends on teammate compatibility and excitement. Without those two key factors, the sport really loses significance to him. But as long as they remain present he does believe it could be in his future.

“I do think swimming could be a part of my future as long as I continue to enjoy those I swim with and the sport itself,” he said.