Ignite!ing a New Kind of Education

Wentzville School District adds a new program to their curriculum.

Alicia Orlando, Reporter

Starting from scratch, the Wentzville School District is starting a new program next year called ‘Ignite!’. Ignite! is a new way of hands-on learning outside of the traditional classroom setting. WSD is beginning two strands in this program next year, business solutions and health care academy.

“It’s students taking their ideas for business related product or service and matching them with someone that has expertise in the private sector,” Mr. Jarrett said.

In this program, students will be able to further their education in a field they are passionate about by solving real-life issues and be paired with mentors in the field they’re working in. Ignite! will mimic a real-world career, and help develop actual professional skills needed in the future.

“Ignite! would be beneficial for us because instead of sitting in class learning about how to do things, we have the opportunity to go out and do them,” Kaitlyn Theriot said, a student who is looking into the program. “It would give us hands on experience and teach us responsibility and how to communicate with other.”  

Ignite! will not only give them hands on experience, but teach them soft skills, such as communication skills, adaptability, problem solving and conflict resolution, that are incredibly important in most jobs.

This will give them (students) the opportunity to earn experience in the field and give meaning to what they are learning about,” science teacher Mr. Sacre said. “Not only that, but students will learn about professionalism, communication, and collaboration, all things that may not be taught in standard high school class. An added benefit is this program will also set these students apart from others, especially those trying to get into competitive programs and scholarships.”

This program can take up to 3 hours out of your schedule, and the placement of where the program will take place is to be determined. Currently there are only 15 students from the Wentzville School District who are able to be a part of the inaugural year of Ignite!.