LHS Students Win Annual Cuivre River Youth Tour Competition

Four students win $1,000 scholarships and four more take $500 scholarships

Four Liberty juniors won $1,000 scholarships and a laptop. Top Left: Taylor Shay-Jakul 
Top Right: Sanjana Anand. Bottom Left: Jaden Zelidon
Bottom Right: Amanda Yoder

Wentzville School District

Four Liberty juniors won $1,000 scholarships and a laptop. Top Left: Taylor Shay-Jakul Top Right: Sanjana Anand. Bottom Left: Jaden Zelidon Bottom Right: Amanda Yoder

Elizabeth Hamby, Assistant Editor

March 21st was a day that 12 juniors looked forward to, awaiting the results of the Cuivre River scholarship.

Eight students from Liberty, who were chosen as semifinalists, had the possibility of winning either a $1,000 scholarship and a laptop or a $500 scholarship. In the end, four juniors won big, out of 60 entrants from 12 area high schools: Sanjana Anand, Taylor Shay-Jakul, Amanda Yoder, and Jaden Zelidon. 

The remaining four won a $500 dollar scholarship: Sarah Dickson, Elizabeth Hamby, Kelsey Looney, and Jackson Martin.  

For a couple of weeks prior to the announcement, students in Mrs. Franke’s AP Language and Composition class were instructed to write an essay for the Youth Tour scholarship that the Cuivre River Cooperative offers every year. They offer it to the counties they power: Lincoln, Pike, St. Charles, and Warren counties.

The students were to write of their favorite cooperative that the company stands for, such as:

Voluntary and Open Membership

Democratic Member Control

Member’s Economic Participation 

Autonomy and Independence 

Education Training and Information 

Cooperation Among Corporations 

Concern for Community

FIND MORE INFORMATION HERE   

Usually, the top six winners are taken on a trip to Washington D.C; but due to COVID-19, that trip will be canceled. However, winners are invited to a combination of a virtual and in-person trip to Jefferson City on June 16-18.