Decision With A Ding

Sophomore Vito Signaigo built a stand for a bell that can be rung for decision day

Sophomore+Vito+Signaigo+poses+with+his+recently+created+Liberty+bell+stand.+

provided by Mr. LaBrot

Sophomore Vito Signaigo poses with his recently created Liberty bell stand.

Elizabeth Hamby, Assistant Editor of The Ledger

To sophomore Vito Signaigo, woodworking is his passion. Through the woodworking course at Liberty, he has created masterpieces that he is proud of and recently made one that the school is proud of.

“A couple of years back (guidance counselor) Mrs. Gerringer gave me a bell and wanted a stand for it. I’m pretty sure it was for decision day,” Mr. LaBrot, the woodworking teacher, said. 

Decision day is in early May when seniors announce their post-high school plans for the following year. 

He’s a fun kid to have in class… I bet he doesn’t learn a thing from me because he already knows it all.

— Mr. LaBrot about Vito Signaigo

While recently cleaning his classroom closet out, LaBrot found the bell and remembered that he needed to finish the stand.

“I put it in my storage closet and forgot about it,” LaBrot said. 

He recruited Signaigo to build a stand for the bell, and he fell no short of the deed. The bell engraved with the words “Liberty” hangs from the middle of the stand.

The bell stand was one of many woodworking projects Signaigo has constructed. 

“(I’ve built baseball) bats and chess boards,” he said. 

Along with this project, he has been improving and building for five years. 

Signaigo has been taking LaBrot’s classes for two years, the entirety of his high school career, which has helped to feed his passion.  

“He’s a fun kid to have in class… I bet he doesn’t learn a thing from me because he already knows it all,” LaBrot said.