National Work Shortage Hits Liberty

LHS experiences a shortage of workers across many departments

Mega

Liberty has experienced large number of staff shortages all across the board.

Megan Geisler, Reporter

All across the country companies have begun reporting a sudden drop in workers and a large need to get positions filled. Thousands of jobs remain unfilled with no workers in sight and no hope to fill them. Companies are trying their best but to no avail.

This problem isn’t just affecting major companies though; schools all across the country are experiencing this same problem, including the Wentzville School District.

Liberty has experienced low numbers of custodians, substitutes, and even bus drivers. In fact, almost every day at the end of school, administrators are announcing bus changes over the intercom due to the fact that we don’t have enough drivers. Some bus routes have to be combined while others have to be pushed back as far as 30 minutes in order to get all of the kids home.

Custodians are having a similar problem. They are having a hard time filling jobs and getting enough workers to be able to clean the whole school. 

WSD Director of Custodial Services Diana Moore is concerned about the shortages.

“My worries are the timing of filling the open positions.  I am sure they will eventually get filled; however, in the meantime, the current staff have to cover for the shortages either through overtime or ‘hitting the high spots!'” 

It was then that the idea of hiring students to fill these positions came into play. Students could work anywhere from 1-5 hours a day on as many days as they would like. According to Mrs. Lewis, the gifted education teacher, “If you only work 1-2 hours a day, your job would consist of just pulling trash cans from classrooms. If you wanted to work 3-5 hour shifts, you would be in charge of 6-7 classrooms. Cleaning a classroom would consist of sweeping and wiping off desks.” The average pay for a job like this is $10-$12 an hour.

Education is extremely important to me, and I would not want to see the students’ grades suffer because of the number of hours they are working or even the time of day or evening they are working.

— Diana Moore, WSD Director of Custodial Services

Moore explained why she decided to turn to students. “Education is extremely important to me, and I would not want to see the students’ grades suffer because of the number of hours they are working or even the time of day or evening they are working. I had students start with me when they were 16 and stay with me until they graduated from college. They said it was because I was able to be flexible with their work schedule.” 

Although people may not think being a custodian isn’t the most amazing job ever, it is still pretty great. They offer flexible hours, great pay and it would be benefitting the school tremendously. Any student looking to apply can go to the link here.