Once in a Lifetime

Students and staff in the WSD schools in 2017-18 are invited to watch the Total Solar Eclipse

Once in a Lifetime

Alicia Orlando, Reporter

[wpdevart_countdown text_for_day=”Days” text_for_hour=”Hours” text_for_minut=”Minutes” text_for_second=”Seconds” countdown_end_type=”time” end_date=”08-03-2017 23:59″ start_time=”1488995377″ end_time=”172,11,10″ action_end_time=”hide” content_position=”center” top_ditance=”10″ bottom_distance=”10″ ][/wpdevart_countdown]

Have you ever been a part of something that will only happen once in your lifetime? You now have the chance see the “Great American Eclipse” in the 2017-18 school year.

On, Monday, Aug. 21, we will be able to experience a total solar eclipse, while at school, for close to 3 minutes from 1:06-1:09 p.m.

The moon orbits the Earth once a month, and eclipses happen if it lines up exactly with the Earth and the sun. Solar eclipses occur at New Moon, when the Moon is between Earth and the Sun,” Katie Rosner said.

This year the eclipse is only going to be seen in 14 states including Missouri, Illinois and Nebraska.

Liberty High School, along with the other schools in the district, are right inside of the eclipse’s path.

The last total solar eclipse visible from the St. Louis area occurred in 1442,” Meghan Aydelott said.

Glasses have been purchased for every person to have a pair so that everyone in the school will be able to experience the eclipse. The school is now working towards coming up with a game plan on how this day will be executed.

This is truly a once in a lifetime event. The district is committed to allowing every student and staff member the opportunity to view the eclipse,” Aydelott said.