Flags Fly High

Winter guard team places second at first competition of season

Liz Hayes

Sydnie Shultis (12), Natalie Hoffman (11), and Benjamin Young (11) pose for a photo with their flags. They took second place at the Mascoutah Competition Jan. 29. “The team was eager to be there and I think we did good for our first competition of the season,” Hoffman said.

Liz Hayes, Reporter

Liberty’s winter guard team competed in their first competition of the season on Jan. 29, at Mascoutah High School.

It was a really fun experience,” junior Natalie Hoffman said. “The team was eager to be there and I think we did well for our first competition of the season. We talked to a lot of other guard kids and watched tons of shows! It was nice to be back in person for these competitions.”

They worked hard to meet their goals and create a show as best as they could, resulting in a second place award at the competition.

“My goals were to perform my best and place well, both of which we succeeded in,” stated junior Benjamin Young.

Learning and performing in front of an audience, while also being judged for a competition, can be stressful.

“I wish I hadn’t stressed over it so much,” team captain Sydnie Shultis (12) said. “Sometimes the more nervous you are about it the more likely you’ll make a mistake. And over my four years of spinning, I’ve learned that this is meant to be an outlet… not something that stresses me out.”

A lot has changed this year from last. Due to COVID-19 during their last season, all but one of their performances were videotaped for submission at competitions.

“Because of COVID-19, the last competition we were able to attend was in 2020,” Shultis said. “It feels good performing in front of an audience, specifically because people haven’t been able to attend shows in two years and the people are excited.”