Community Comes Together To Make Music

In honor of national “Music In Our Schools” month, WSD announces the first ever community band

Megan

The low brass section prepares for the next song.

Megan Geisler, Reporter

Created in 1973 to highlight the importance of music education, March was officially dubbed “Music In Our Schools” month by the National Association for Music Education (NAME). Communities around the world want to celebrate music and bring attention to how important it is. 

In honor of this, the Wentzville School District announced the arrival of the first-ever community band.

“Hearing about this band felt like a step in the right direction about broadcasting the importance of the arts,” junior Amelia Huebbe said when she heard the news.

The practices were much more relaxed and everyone there was so nice and welcoming.

— Payton Grotewiel

The concert took place at Liberty’s Performing Arts Center on March 10 under the direction of Ms. Angelete Frein.

The band grew rapidly gaining more than 100 members ranging from two years of experience to 53 years of experience. Members included students from all four schools, parents, teachers, and even just community members looking to join in on the fun.

“The practices were much more relaxed and everyone there was so nice and welcoming,” sophomore Payton Grotewiel said. “It was honestly just a lot of fun.” This seemed to be the case for everyone there and after just three rehearsals the band was ready for the concert.

Under the direction of Ms. Frein, the concert started with the band playing “Heroes Triumphant” by William Owens. Followed by this was “Music Speaks” by Randall Standridge. Also by Randall Standridge, the band played “Iron Heart.” Characterized by Ms. Frein as an “aggressive, in your face, yet fun piece,” “Iron Heart” was a big hit. Finally, the concert finished out with fan-favorite “Sweet Caroline.”  

At the end of the night, the concert was a huge hit and an amazing experience for everyone involved. Students got to meet past alumni and learn from them whilst older members of the community got to witness the next generation of musicians.

“It was really fun playing and meeting people you don’t usually meet,” junior AJ Fruehwirth remarked after the show. “Especially people from other schools and adults who have been playing for 20-some-odd years.”

This concert was the first of its kind but will definitely not be the last.