Old and New

Liberty holds their first ever Swofford game

Mrs. Sutherlin steals the ball from Mr. Luedecke

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

To kick off prom weekend, a senior versus staff basketball game was held on April 7th. Swofford games have been held  at other high schools in the district for 17 years. The game was to collect money for the Swofford Scholarship. The scholarship was named in honor of Scott Swofford who was a coach at Holt and Timberland.

The theme for the Swofford Game is always faculty vs. seniors.

“We decided to tie the game into the Prom theme (the Great Gatsby), Mrs. Steinbruegge came up with the idea that Gatsby called his friends ‘Old Sport’ and that the faculty could be the ‘Old Sports’  and the seniors could be the ‘young sports,’” Mrs.Farrelly said. “I took that idea and ran with it for the dance, incorporating old-school moves from my generation, along with some newer moves from this generation.”

The teachers and girls did a halftime dance and they had started working on that at the end of March.

“Practice was interesting. I learned some new dance moves and gotten close with some of the girls and teachers,” senior Hannah Jones said.

Everyone was impressed with the turn-out of the game. Around 200-300 people came.

“The crowd was awesome, they were respectful to Mrs.Swofford and cheered loud for the boys,” Mrs. Gerringer said.

Overall, they raised $1600 for the scholarship fund. Two students will be awarded the Scott Swofford Memorial Scholarship from each Wentzville High School, one male and one female. The recipients won’t know until Mrs.Swofford calls their name at Grad Night April 27th.

Even though the staff won 40-32, the seniors still had a good start to the prom weekend  and raised money for a good cause.