Starting a Tradition

JV Baseball Wins Lebanon Tournament

Sophomore Dillon Hebbeln points back to the dugout after his triple.

Eric Mason, Reporter

Starting a tradition Liberty began their trip to Lebanon a three hour bus ride in an attempt to bring home another championship victory for the second year in a row.

“We won another plaque this is the second year in a row coming home from this tournament as champions,” Head Coach Norm Jackson said.

Liberty’s junior varsity baseball team won the Lebanon tournament on April 17. The tournament was a wooden bat, round robin tournament which means that every team plays everybody. Whoever has the best record at the end of the tournament takes first place.

The Eagles started off the first game off the tournament rough going down 2-0 in the first inning. The boys soon bounced back. Sophomore Jack Campbell came in during the first inning to pitch and finished out the game coming out on top winning 8-6 against a tough Lebanon High School team.

The next day the Eagles stayed hot winning their second game with a 10-0 run ruling West Plains High School in 5 innings. They battled in their third game lead by sophomore Jake Ardey on the mound but unfortunately they did not come out on top. The game ended with an 8-7 loss against a strong Battle High School team from Columbia, Missouri. Despite this loss, they still had a chance to come out in first place due to run differential.

After the end of their last game against Battle, it was a waiting game to see how the rest of the tournament would play out to see if they would win. It all came down to run differential and Liberty won the tournament.

Lebanon is shipping a plaque to Liberty to put in the trophy case next to the first one. “They had to customize is and have it made before we got it so that it says Liberty High School on it,” said Jackson.

When asked about how they felt about the team’s performance in the tournament, sophomore Jack Campbell stated, “We have all worked together day in and day out as a team at practice for this moment, we’re champions.”