Why the Time Change?

On Nov. 2, Liberty is changing its starting and ending time

Bryden Bell

Students will have to wake up a little earlier to get to school on time beginning on Nov. 2.

Bryden Bell, Reporter

Two weeks ago, parents received an email stating that Liberty is changing its starting and ending time. Beginning on Nov. 2, the starting and ending time will change from 7:20 a.m. to 2:20 p.m. to 7:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. While it’s just a five minute difference, this time change will help transportation significantly. 

Liberty had the 7:15 start time for eight years, until last school year. The Wentzville School District school board decided it would be better to push the starting time back five minutes, thinking that transportation would be better. Unfortunately, they were wrong, as buses started to back up and stalled Frontier’s ending time. 

Dr. Lindsay Kiely, who is one of the assistant principals here at Liberty, says that this time change will change a lot of things for students and even parents.

Students have mixed feelings about the new starting and ending time. (Bryden Bell)

“Although it doesn’t seem like a lot, it could change a lot of things for people with daycare. For students it could mean five minutes earlier when they probably should be waking up,” Kiely said. 

The change was made mostly for transportation reasons. Since LHS is the only high school that doesn’t share a campus with its middle school, it makes the buses late to Frontier.

Kiely says, “It’s a lot harder in that turn, not only to get out of Liberty because of all the student traffic, but that turn waiting for the light at Frontier.” 

Freshman Emerson Stubblefield doesn’t mind the time change. 

“It didn’t really affect me that much. It’s not really a big difference since I get here early.”

Stubblefield goes on to say that she doesn’t think the starting time will make a big change in the school day.

Sophomore Kylie Brennan has mixed feelings about the new starting time. She says, “I wasn’t super super upset about it, but I think my first reaction was ‘really?’”

Brennan says it personally doesn’t affect her, but other students will be more impacted than her.