We’re Back, Witches! Muahahaha

The Sandersons are back after 29 years to bring spook back to Halloween

Disney Platform Distribution

The witches are back. After 29 years of waiting, the three iconic witches are finally back on the big screen.

Kaya Egeler, Reporter

After 29 years the iconic Halloween movie, “Hocus Pocus” is back. The movie follows three sisters: Winifred (Winnie), Mary and Sarah Sanderson.

The movie begins with Sarah, the youngest of the three sisters, singing her iconic song, “Come, Little Children,” luring children to their deaths. Sarah is able to catch Emily Binx. Thackery, her older brother, realizes and heads to the sister’s cottage. It was too late though, the sisters had gotten Emily and cursed Thackery to be a black cat for eternity. The sisters are then hanged but not before Winifred casts a spell saying if a virgin lights the black candle on all hallows eve they will come back. So Max (the main character) lights the candle, setting the witches free. The movie then goes on to Max, Dani (Max’s younger sister) and Allison (the main love interest for Max), fighting the witches and sending them back to wherever they came from, with a little help along the way.

In this sequel, we see how the three sisters began. Three sisters trying to survive with no parental figures. They end up getting run out of their village into the forbidden forest finding a witch. The witch then gives them the book (Winifred’s pride and joy), and the movie skips to present day. 

“Seeing the original witches back in action was probably the only thing keeping me from turning the movie off. Even after 20 years they were as funny as ever, as if no time had gone by.”

— Alexandra Chavez

This movie follows Becca, our main character, and her two best friends, Izzy and Cassie. Cassie having ditched the two friends to be with her boyfriend and for popularity. Becca has always been super interested in Halloween and witchy things. Becca and Izzy are doing their yearly hangout on Halloween. They end up buying a black flame candle without realizing it and lighting said candle. They unleash the witches and that’s when the chaos ensues. The three (Becca, Izzy and Cassie) do end up defeating the witches but not before facing their own troubles and problems throughout the movie. 

“Hocus Pocus 2 was a disappointment,” junior Alexandra Chavez said. “Especially when going against the first one. The first one was filled with original humor, a good story, and wicked good singing. The second just felt like it was going off the original too much. It’s fine to use a few of the same jokes to bring back the nostalgia from the first film, but it almost felt like the same jokes were being repeated throughout the duration of the film. It lacked originality in that sense and overall it can’t really compare to the original.

Other students agree the sequel was not as good as the first movie.

“I thought it wasn’t as good, but I thought the ending was good,” sophomore Joshua Deters said.

I think it’s safe to say this movie was a disappointment for returning fans of this iconic Halloween movie.