Better Than Ever

Liberty kicks off the 2017-18 school year with spirit

Chasteanne Salvosa

Libertys+staff+members+give+out+high+fives+as+the+new+staff+complete+their++bridge+walk%2C+for+their+first+experience+at+Liberty.+

Liberty’s staff members give out high fives as the new staff complete their bridge walk, for their first experience at Liberty.

Chasteanne Salvosa and Olivia Holler

First days can seem repetitive, from the joyous reunions with friends to meeting new teachers to the exciting assembly during the day. Liberty is unlike any other school – it’s something about spirit.

As Liberty enters its fifth year, the school begins with approximately 1,377 students, with 355 freshman, 328 sophomores, 352 juniors and 322 seniors.

The first day of the new school year began with energetic buzz throughout the hallways, as everyone from freshly minted seniors to first time high schoolers mixed and mingled in the commons, waiting for the bell to ring.

Although it may seem like the beginning of a long journey for the freshman,  it feels like end of a short one for the seniors.

“It was a surreal experience for me because I couldn’t believe how fast the time went by,” said senior Tommy Bindbeutel. “I remember attending the pep assembly as a freshman amazed by how far away senior year seemed. Now that I am a senior, looking back I realize how quickly that time really did go by and that you should make the most of your time while you can.”

Though the day was exciting for everyone, the highlight was the traditional back-to-school assembly, where freshmen execute the rite of passage of walking across the bridge, officially marking them as an Eagle.

One of the many traditions is having the spirit stick at school events and activities. Mr. Wheeler led the way for the freshman by carrying the spirit stick.

“The idea behind the spirit stick is to invoke spirit among the Eagles of Liberty,” Wheeler said. “I was leading the freshmen to the bridge walk and wanted something to hold while I was doing it, like a grand marshal.”

Not only is the bridge walk symbolic as a tradition here at Liberty, it also marks one of the first memories freshmen make of their high school experience.

“My favorite memory of today was when all the freshmen walked into the gym and the whole school was cheering us on and welcoming us,” freshman Braden Bond said. “It made me feel like a celebrity, and I’m sure may other freshman, as well. Liberty is very welcoming.”

Whether the first day marked the first, second, third or last year of high school, Liberty’s first days create a school spirit unlike no other high school.

As the student body looks forward to many school days and nights ahead of them, the lasting memory of an exciting first day will remind the entire school – it’s always a great day to be an Eagle.

Eric Mason
Mr. Wheeler continues the spirit stick tradition while guiding the freshman across the bridge.
Eric Mason
Junior Jenna Knobbe and other Liberty cheerleaders got the students pumped up during the assembly.
Olivia Holler
The freshmen got a little taste of Liberty’s spirit. The spirit in the air was high today as students welcomed them in.

Save

Save