Boys Track Team Crowned Conference Champions Once Again

The varsity boys track team takes home the title of GAC champions for the third year in a row

Megan Geisler

Junior Cam Liddell takes his second attempt at the triple jump at the Francis Howell Invitational.

Megan Geisler, Reporter

Back to Back to Back Champions. The boys varsity track team took home their third-consecutive conference title on May 4 at the annual GAC championship. Despite a last-minute time change due to the rainy-weather that altered the course of the meet (which was originally scheduled to take place at Liberty), the boys were able to persevere and take home the win at Holt High School. 

Going into the meet, many of the athletes were nervous, including senior Charlie Hebden.

“I had mixed feelings going into GACs. Before, at the Northwest meet when I tried to run the 100, I had to stop because it hurt my hamstring too much to run and I expected the same result,” Hebden said.  

The meet kicked off with field events where junior Cam Liddell surpassed all expectations. He not only won the triple jump but the high jump as well, securing a lot of points for the team.

“I was a little nervous I wasn’t going to do well, because I had a little bit of competition, but I did my best and it paid off,” Liddell said in regards to his wins. “It feels amazing to see all my hard work pay off because of just how much I’ve been doing in my off season and the years before.”

As the meet continued, the team won many events in all areas.

“Our boys team nailed it all day, our throws and jumps really showed out along with our sprints and distance. All around, we earned that win based on how well we placed in everything,” junior Dominic Holderfield said.

Winning GACs was a surreal experience for all involved, but none of this would have happened without an entire season full of hard work. You don’t just become a champion, you earn it and that’s exactly what these boys did. They worked hard all season to be the best they could.

“Being with all the guys everyday and seeing them run as hard as they can whether it’s a 30-meter acceleration or a 350-meter sprint I feel like they deserved this win,” Hebden said. And a well deserved win it was.