Drum Major Power

Mitchell Coughran explains what it’s like to be a drum major for the Liberty Eagle Regiment

Mitchell+Coughran+is+one+of+the+three+drum+majors+for+the+Liberty+Eagles+Regiment.+

Jonica Weiler Photography

Mitchell Coughran is one of the three drum majors for the Liberty Eagles Regiment.

Chris Randolph, Reporter

Although senior Mitchell Coughran misses marching, being drum major is way more cool to him.

Being a drum major this year for Coughran has given him a chance to help the band in new and exciting ways. He helps the band expand and grow and keeps tempo for the band while they play.

Coughran has been playing the trumpet since 6th grade and wants to do marching band in college.

“The band is very young and that’s a good thing. It gives a lot of room to improve,¨ Mitchell said.   “It’s a big commitment, but it’s also a great way to start off your day.”

On Sept. 16, the band took 4th place out of 6th during the Edwardsville competition, which was a positive step in the right direction for the young band.

“The performance was good, but there is still a lot more work to be done,” Coughran said. “I am looking forward to the next competition because we got some experience now, especially the freshman. We all know what to expect now and hopefully we can make some good changes from last time.”

Coughran is one of the three drum majors along with Luke Carter and Chase Wright.

“They are very good to work with and fun to be around,” Mitchell said.

“Mitchell is very fun to be around and he is very good at being drum major,” Carter said. “He knows what he’s doing and he is always there. Mitchell is very supportive and never slacks at his job.

Although Mitchell Coughran is enjoying marching band as drum major, he is also looking forward to jazz band.