New Netflix Show Breaks Records?

One Piece Surpasses Others Like ‘Stranger Things’ And ‘Wednesday’
Taylor Koehnemann
New Netflix show “One Piece” has become the top streamed show on Netflix in 84 countries.

Netflix has become the number one streaming service of all time. They can’t be blamed, they’ve created and released some of the best shows to ever air on television, “Stranger Things,” “Squid Games,” “The Witcher,” etc. Netflix has definitely given a name for themselves through their great creations.

Recently though, Netflix has released a brand new show that has taken the world by storm. This was announced all the way back in 2022 with low and high expectations for this series. When it released its first trailer people quickly had started worrying for the new adaptation to this beloved series. When the series finally released on Netflix it was cherished and loved by the viewers and original fans.

This series is the brand new live-action “One Piece”. Based on the best selling manga, and worlds longest running anime series. “One Piece” has always been a big icon considering its original story and impact on Japanese culture as well as all pop culture. The live action series brings the creative world of pirates to life for original fans as well as brand new fans. 

Both the live action and the anime series have very similar plot lines but with a small shake up to the way it adapts to the real world. The series is about an ambitious pirate named Luffy who has wanted to do nothing more than become king of the pirates. The previous king of the pirates; Gol D. Roger, was executed by the Marines but before he died he let the world know he left his treasure for any pirate to find, and this treasure is the One Piece. 

Luffy in the series ventures out to find not only the “One Piece” but also a strong and loyal crew. Luffy himself has his own rubber-like powers to defend himself and his crew to fight off the rest of the powerful pirates that he crosses paths with during the series.

The series started production all the way back in January of 2022. Many of the fans of the series were scared with the live-action becoming a big let down due to the wacky world that “One Piece” is. Aspects like CGI, Story, Casting, and especially the characters and their personality were all on the line for the fans because they believed those aspects of the series wouldn’t be adapted well into a real setting. 

A spark of hope the fans were given is the author/creator of “One Piece,” Eiichiro Oda, was confirmed to help with the show. This news would become a big relief for fans knowing that the author was very critical with the franchise, making sure all parts of the story would be accurate or to his liking.

Now that the Live-Action “One Piece” has been released, It has had a global impact on Netflix and has become number one on Netflix in 84 countries across the world. Bringing in old fans and creating new fans to enjoy the live-action series. Coming all the way from a feared letdown to the franchise to a brand new cherished adaptation to the original.

Now that the series has become so popular the producers have already confirmed a second season to the show due to its popularity on the streaming service. One thing that comes to mind with this news is: can the next season continue the great start we have or could this go wrong in the way fans feared the first time?