• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

Student Gives Back to Their Community Through DECA

In Advancement Marketing class, students are working on a big project in helping people out in need

For Senior Victoria Shelton’s final project in her class, she is working on creating awareness for a certain issue. Shelton is partnering with CaretoLearn to help out children who are struggling.

When coming up with an idea of what to do, Shelton had many options to think of when picking out an area to help out in. She felt helping children out would be the best option because “our district works with caretolearn and I want to help children in need.”

Her awareness is labeled as the “DECA Food, Clothing, and Hygiene Drive.” For this, you can find boxes at the main lobby and then the beginning of the 200, 300, and 400 hall. 

For donating to this drive, Shelton is looking for food products, packaged clothing, and hygiene products. The actual donation takes place October 23-25 but she will be working on this project up until the end of the first semester.

Advertising this drive that is part of the project is no easy task.

“The biggest challenge throughout this has been making the marketing materials,” Shelton said.

Raising awareness for this drive to help children in such a short amount of time requires a lot of planning in advance and public speaking to the school.

For food products, some examples that would be accepted are canned food, snacks, soups, and bars of any kind. Clothing wise, accepted examples would be any kind of newly packaged clothes whether it ranges from something as simple as socks to sweatshirts. Accepted hygiene products are shampoo/conditioner, body wash, deodorant, toothpaste, and feminine hygiene products. 

Anything as simple as bringing in canned food from your pantry would be very beneficial to this awareness project, as children on the daily are struggling. 1 in 6 kids go hungry everyday. This is a huge problem because it is detrimental to these kids’ health and Shelton wants to raise awareness for this growing problem.