• Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0
  • Apr 29 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Incarnate Word - 1
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Barstow - 2
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Barstow - 8

Midnight Madness Brings a Fun Start to the New Season

Boys and girls basketball teams showcase their talents at annual event
Anna Simms
Senior Aiden King slam dunks a basket, hanging onto the rim while warming up for the Midnight Madness games.

When you see a basketball team running across the court, you don’t see the effort put into shooting a basketball. The talent of being able to shoot a basketball doesn’t come naturally to all. It takes a lot of practice and confidence, says senior, girls basketball player Mariah Mhandu. 

“I’m really excited to play with my new team,” Mhandu said.

Mhandu and her teammates showcased their talents at the annual Midnight Madness Thursday night, Nov. 16th in the gym. The boys team also participated. Midnight Madness is an event that gets fans excited for the upcoming basketball seasons. 

“I am excited to watch our guys compete at a high level. I think we have a group that is connected,” boys coach Mr. Chip Sodemann said. 

Junior Ty Nickerson dribbles the ball during one of the games played at the annual Midnight Madness game on Nov. 16. (Anna Simms)

The relationship between the players in the overall dynamic is so important within a basketball team. If the communication and relationship isn’t present, their best game may not be possible.

Basketball players will have to think fast when they are playing other teams. Players were put to the test with a series of games to see how well they would perform. These games were a fun way to get the audience excited for the upcoming basketball season.

The girls team played the boys team in multiple games during Midnight Madness including a relay race and 3-point contest. (Anna Simms)

The first drill was a relay race where players were put to the test. A series of barriers were placed throughout the gym and the goal was to weave around the barriers and make one basket in the front of the basket. Players then moved to the other side of the basket and tried their best to make an additional three baskets. The boys team completed the relay in 1 minute and 33 seconds. The girls failed to beat the boys’ time when the buzzer went off.

The junior Eagles and the boys JV basketball team competed in a competition of knockout. Players formed a line behind the basket. The first player would attempt to make a basket after the first person attempted to shoot the basket, the second person would try to make the basket before the first person. If the first person makes it before the second person makes the shot they remain in but, if the second person makes it first the original person is out.

The 3-point contest was a competition between the girls and the boys. In the first round, the boys won with a score of 9 defeating the girls team with a score of 8. In the second round, the boys took a win again with a score of 15 conquering the girls team with a score of 10. Finally, the last round the round too determine the winner. Once again the boys took a win with a score of 18 and the girls end with a score of 10. The boys team defeated the girls team with a final score of 42-21.