Is the MCU Falling Off?

With the recent failure in MCU projects, people begin to wonder if the decade long film series is coming to an end
Taylor Koehnemann
With the recent failure of Marvel films, “Deadpool & Wolverine” might be the MCU’s last hope.

Marvel is by far one of the world’s most popular franchises. With signature characters from pop culture such as Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. As popular as Marvel is, back in the early 2010’s is when the popularity started to skyrocket. The MCU had been created. The MCU stands for: Marvel Cinematic Universe; Marvel had started their own film studio for live-action theatrical films. 

The MCU would continue to become Marvel’s biggest project and loved by many fans and movie fanatics across the world. The MCU had hit its all-time peak at “Avengers: Endgame.” Not only would this be Marvel’s highest grossing movie, but it had also been considered one of the MCU’s “last good films.” Aside from a few films after Endgame, most marvel projects weren’t getting the revenue MCU films used to get.

Some MCU projects that have failed recently include: “She-Hulk,” “Ant-Man Quantumania,” “Eternals,” and “The Marvels.” These films have all been received not so well by audiences. With all of these projects having bad receptions, there could be a couple reasons following up to the recent failure of the MCU. One reason could be due to the fact that the original cast is being let go. A lot of fans quickly became upset as within just a couple years after Endgame, the original Avengers were replaced with a new generation of heroes.

Another reason due to the recent failure of lots of marvel projects could be the “Post-Covid Effect.” Ever since the Covid pandemic, theaters have been less packed than beforehand. This is due to several streaming services being released and viewers waiting for the movie to release on the streaming service so they don’t feel the need to pay to watch the films in theaters.

Disney+ has also become the reason the MCU TV shows don’t usually succeed in lots of views. The TV shows have a hard time gaining lots of views because of other streaming service competitors and Disney+ being considered an “expensive” streaming service.

Many MCU fans have also made their opinion on the subject too. MCU fans accuse Marvel of the MCU failing problem to the “quantity over quality” shtick Marvel is sticking with at the moment. Recently, more MCU projects are being announced and released every year more than ever. Lots of the films have been considered unnecessary and dead-ended. 

As the MCU seems like it may be seeing its final days of success, recently there has been an upcoming crossover film that has been considered to be the “Savior of the MCU.” This longly anticipated movie is “Deadpool 3,” or its official title; “Deadpool & Wolverine.” The Deadpool movies have been fan favorites of Marvel and Movie fans. The first film released back in 2016 with it gaining lots of attention for being very close to the source material. 

The newest film follows the comedic actor; Ryan Reynolds back as the Deadpool character once again. The film takes place not too long after the second film, where in response to Deadpool time-traveling, he has created a “nexus event” and been taken captive by the TVA which is a multiverse agency that keeps events in time in their rightful place. They offer him a new timeline to live in which is the MCU. The TVA will only let him into the MCU as long as he can take on a mission of theirs first. In which he meets characters from other non-MCU Marvel films. Such as the return of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine character. 

With a character as popular and iconic as Deadpool finally entering the MCU, this might change things up for the upcoming films within the years to come. This could also mean a possibility of the X-Men appearing in live action films again, due to the inclusion of Wolverine returning. Many fans say this will be an opportunity to make the MCU a little more serious and successful once again.

With Deadpool and Wolverine both entering the beloved MCU, could this be the beginning of a new era for the films or will this end up being another flopped attempt at bringing back the MCU to the top of the movie market?

Do you think the MCU is falling off?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.