• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

Why Are Medical Dramas So Appealing?

Answering the question of what makes people watch these fan-favorite shows
Echo Brooke
What makes medical dramas have the success they do?

Medical dramas have been popular in the TV scene for a while now, and you’re probably aware of at least one of them. Some of the more popular ones include ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Chicago Med,’ ‘ER,’ ‘House M.D.,’ and many more.

These shows have seen incredible success and viewership. They tend to run for long periods of time usually getting at least a couple of seasons. But why are they so popular?

One factor as to why these shows are so popular has to do with the drama. It comes in all forms with these shows, from dealing with big and unpredictable medical issues to several workplace relationships. These shows get you hooked on the character’s lives personally and professionally, so you keep watching, wanting to know what happens to them next.

Casting plays another part in getting you hooked on these shows. If you look at the cast of many of these shows you will notice a trend. They tend to find conventionally attractive actors and actresses to play the roles of the doctors you know and love. They want to find people they know the audience will like and fall in love with and looks are a step in that direction a good chunk of the time.

While those are both big parts of the success of these shows, you can find both those things in any other type of drama. So what really makes medical dramas stand out among the rest? Well, the answer is right in the name; people like the medical aspect of the shows.

When you are a patient being treated and see their condition get better and worse, it intrigues us. You typically get sent through a range of emotions like fear and relief. This tends to activate our fight-or-flight response. This can give you a boost of energy and release dopamine, making you feel happier.

People also like to know about their bodies. Being healthy and knowing if something is wrong is important for most, so watching these shows can have an appeal to them. It makes us feel like we know more about our bodies and can give us almost a sense of control.

Medical dramas also give us ordinary people to identify with. On one hand, if you or someone you know went through something, it can give that sense of connection. On the other, you can see these people and empathize and learn from them and their experience even if it’s all an act.

For most of us, we also don’t know how accurate these shows truly are. Sure, you might be able to pick out a few things that sound a little far-fetched, but for the most part, what they are saying sounds pretty realistic. This allows people to enjoy what they are watching without thinking about it too much, and even if you do have a medical degree, you might be able to get a good laugh out of their errors.