A Record to Remember

The boys varsity swim team makes their mark at state

Junior+Zach+Myers+competes+in+the+200+freestyle+relay%2C+400+freestyle+relay%2C+200+medley+relay+and+the+100+backstroke.+He+was+one+of+the+Liberty+swimmers+who+made+it+to+state.+
Junior Zach Myers competes in the 200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay, 200 medley relay and the 100 backstroke. He was one of the Liberty swimmers who made it to state.

Alex Vigor

Alex Vigor

Lauren Polydys and Ianne Salvosa

LHS Publications
Junior Ian Herling takes a breath during a race earlier in the season. Herling placed fifth at state in the 50-meter freestyle at the St. Peters Rec-Plex. “This is my second year making state and I’m excited but always nervous,” Herling said.

When it comes to dedication, the boys varsity swim team goes the extra mile, or meter, in this case.

The boys varsity swim team competed at the 2017 Missouri State High School Boys Swimming & Diving Championships Nov. 2-4 at the St. Peters Rec-Plex. The team competed in 5 events: the 200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay, 200 medley relay, along with two individuals competing in the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke. The 200 freestyle relay and the 50 freestyle were the only events to make it back to finals this year.

Junior Ian Herling competed in the 50 freestyle and finished with a time of 22.27 and placing fifth in finals, the best finish ever for a LHS swimmer.

“I was really happy and didn’t expect to get fifth up until a couple of days before the meet,” Herling said.

Junior Zach Myers, senior Lucas Sproull, Herling, and senior Shea Myers competed in the 200 freestyle relay and finished with a time of 1:34.30, placing 11th in finals.

Senior Devon Viernes, Herling, Sproull, and Zach Myers competed in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:35.45.

Zach Myers, Shea Myers, junior Josh Roberts, and Herling competed in the 200 medley relay and finished with a time of 1:48.89.

Zach Myers competed in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:03.17.

This was a team record for the varsity boys swim team leading them to qualify for five events at state.  

“I believe, without a doubt, that our team has improved this year. Our times have gotten faster, and our skill set has improved,” swim coach Taylor Whitmore said.

But this improvement doesn’t come without a cost. Having to balance schoolwork and long, rigorous swim practices, Liberty’s swimmers, make up a dedicated, driven team.

“We earned it versus just kind of like walking up in there,” Sproull said.

As the swim team continues their journey to the top, they ended their 2017-18 season off with some great times.

About the Writers
Lauren Polydys, Reporter
Lauren is a senior and this is her second year in publications and her first year on the magazine staff. She enjoys reading and watching Netflix. Her favorite genre of books is a tie between fantasy and romance, depending on her mood. If asked about her go to Netflix show she would probably reply Friends....
Ianne Salvosa, Reporter
This is Ianne’s (ee-yen) first year at LHS and is part of the journalism class. She loves travelling, seeing the world, and capturing it. Ianne also enjoys dancing, playing the ukulele, and watching horror movies. Outside of publications, she is part of the dance team and Key Club. In her spare time (which there isn’t...