Mur des Je T’aime

From across the world to the cafeteria

Sophomore and second year French student Megan Foster writes on the Wall of Love in the cafeteria.

Emma Hankins

Emma Hankins

Melana Quarles, Reporter

With constant bad news and horrible acts being committed around the world, it’s refreshing to see something promoting unity and peace. That was Madame Farrelly’s thought with the recreation of the Wall of Love.

There is a paper wall in the cafeteria which is a replica of the “I Love You Wall” in Paris, France, that encourages peace, love and unity.

“We are always trying to promote peace, love, happiness and joy,” Farrelly said.

The wall in Paris is a love-themed wall composed of 612 tiles of enamelled lava, on which the phrase “I love you” is featured 311 times in 250 languages. It includes all the major languages but also rarer ones like Navajo, Inuit, Bambara and Esperanto. It is in the Jehan Rictus garden square and is open to the public free of charge.

At Liberty, the French Club, and other students put up a similar wall in celebration of National French week which was November 1-8. It features positive messages, and it was encouraged students write their own positive message, in any language they want. There are QR codes on the wall the students can scan and see what it’s all about.

“Seeing the effort just to do something nice and how its sole purpose was to spread love made me smile,” sophomore Cailey Chapman said.

Farrelly told all her classes about this wall, but she also wanted it to be kind of mysterious, so the students would ask around and there would be buzz about what it was. Farrelly has seen the original wall in Paris, and thought it was nice and inspirational.

“It’s all about promoting love, unity, and peace among different languages and cultures, it’s just a nice thing,” Madame Farrelly said.

It will be taken down sometime this week and then will reside in Madame Farrelly’s room.

About the Writer
Melana Quarles, Reporter

Melana is a junior and this is her third year being apart of LHS Publications.  She writes for The Ledger and is a radio personality on J-Dubs in the Morning. She loves to read, admire art and to paint. She hates waking up early. Her favorite music artists are The  Front Bottoms and Cam Meekins. Her favorite show is Orange is the New Black. Her favorite way to spend time is with Emma. Live Love Emma.