Attention to Detail

Zoe Fleschman

As high schoolers, we have to make tough decisions that could last a lifetime. The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, also known as the ASVAB, is a multiple choice test used to determine qualification for enlistment in the United States Armed Forces.

Recently, students interested in the military were offered to take this test provided by Liberty High School. After speaking with these students, all had different reasons for joining.

Some men were interested due to college fees. Many services are offered in giving your service. One of these is scholarships and coverage over schooling loans. Some men wanted to join for the experience and due to childhood dreams. Some want to join to actually defend their country.

After speaking with Mr. Nelson, who was a former drill sergeant, he said you don’t want to go in just on a whim. Many people don’t end up staying. Know whether or not you want to make your military time a career or just a part time thing in order to move along in your life.

“If you put a bunch of good heads together, you can come up with something amazing,” Nelson said. A few perks of joining include learning attention to detail and allowing yourself to expand your ways of working with different groups of individuals, or teamwork.

Recruiters can be salespeople, so talk to more than just that person and do some research of your own. But remember, it’s not like television. The military is not what you think it will be.

As a high school student, thinking about the reality of these scary situations at still such a young age is frightening. Have serious conversations with your parent(s)/guardians about how you are feeling. Know what you are signing up for before you do. No matter what, be safe with what you choose.