Curtain Call

Hard work pays of for “Trouble at the Talent Show” cast

Curtain+Call

Emma Rudolph

If you ask any of the theatre students what they like most about being a part of theatre, they will all say it is like a family.

Their latest production, Trouble at the Talent Show, took almost four months to prepare and the hard work ended up being worth the effort. The annual spring play debuted April 14.

Preparation began with auditions in January and their challenging times along the way.

“Overall, everyone working together, and the fact that not everyone will be prepared at the same time and that you will have to deal with other people and their pace,” Austyn Kloth said. “It’s the hardest part because you have to understand not everyone will be exactly like you.”

There was a tremendous amount of work that went into the production with all the memorization, choreography, long daily rehearsals, but those are just some of the things drama students are committed to.

Trouble at the Talent Show is about various groups and cliche “cliques” in high school. Of course, you’ll have the jocks, the popular girls and the grungies. They all participate in a school talent show, including the lunch ladies and janitors. One of the lunch ladies ends up getting poisoned from her sister.

The environment in the theatre is something very special, according to cast members and other production workers.
“I wanted to try out for the play because it would be a new experience with new people and I thought it would be a fun opportunity,” Sam Clynes said. This was Clynes’ first play in high school. She was nervous for the tryout, but Sam was happy when she found out she had made it.

Kloth offers his advice for students interested in participating in a play.

“Be confident. Confidence is everything,” he said. “If you’re kind of frightened about standing in front of people, you’re not going to notice it once you’re in character.”