A New Installment

Liberty’s new auditorium addition and the impact it has on students and teachers

Construction on the school auditorium began in April and will be finished May of 2017.

Angel Flores

The auditorium is just the latest installment to Liberty in a school year full of construction.

Construction on the auditorium began the week of April 10 and is slated to be finished May of 2017.

Liberty has been constructing and adding new sections to the school for most of the current school year.

The new academic wing, which will extend the 300 and 400 hallways and the second gymnasium are on schedule to be completed in July. The academic wing will feature social studies, business, Project Lead the Way and child development classrooms.

The auditorium will feature approximately 700 seats and be next to the band room. It will serve many purposes to the school.

School performances will take place there and the theatre classes will get a lot of benefit from it.

“I am very excited about it and my students are very excited about it too. They will experience more here, since Liberty will have a full-blown theater here,” theatre director Ms. Shelton said.

“It’s beneficial since the auditorium will be used by us and for a bunch of different events.”

School performances are not the only events the auditorium would be used for since it would also be used for school meetings or +400 large ceremonial events.

Other schools will also use it too as elementary schools may use it for theatre or their graduation ceremony.

With the school growing to approximately 1,400 students by next school year, these new areas are needed.

“We’re hiring 17 more teachers to work for the school and a lot more staff workers,” Mr. Nelson said. “Plus, with 1,400 students that will be here by the start of next year shows that the school is growing. I am amazed of how many students we have here.”

As long as there are no major weather problems that could delay construction, it’s possible that the construction of

the auditorium will be ready to go for the 2017-18 school year.